Amir Michigan

Gun Violence

Dear next President,

Gun violence

According to the U.S news and NBC every year an average of more than 100,000 people are shot. Every day in the U.S an average of 289 people are involved in gun incidents. Of that an alarming 86 people die, even worse than that 53 people have either killed themselves or have been victims of a police altercations. The United States homicide rate is 20 times higher than other nations and one person is killed by a firearm every 17 minutes, 87 people are killed during an average day and 609 people are killed every week. Gun violence is on the rise every single day and it looks like it's not going to stop any time soon.

If you recently picked up a newspaper or watch the news you might have asked yourself is our schools and neighborhoods a safe place for kids. Gun violence affect kids and adults too. It is a lot of teenage gangsters and the streets became a battleground, causing drive-by shootings. Innocent children get caught in the middle of these horrible incidents every day. Getting hurt for no reason of their own. This is causing damage to the young society because kids are dying at a young age and are surrounded by all this nonsense. As Americans we can't just ignore this issue, ignoring it will only make it worse.

According to the Brady Campaign, people who get guns for self-defense are more likely to use it for something other than self-defense. A gun in the home is 22 times more likely to be used to kill or injure in a domestic homicide, suicide or unintentional shooting than to be used in self-defense. This is a problem, the wrong people have guns and use them to kill other people or use it for hate against someone. All this can be stop if the gun regulations were a little tighten and enforced. There should be more background checks for people with criminal records or mental illness. I don't know if it will stop, but I think it can slow down at some point. Gun violence is one of America's biggest problems it’s on the news every day, it happens daily and it is affecting the youth.

Amir