Zach B. & Latane M. District Of Columbia

We need to bring awareness to gun control!

Dear Future President of the United States,

Hi, our names are Zachary Blumenfeld and Latane Montague. We live in the Washington D.C area. We believe gun violence is a monumental issue in America and in the last decade, gun violence has grown tremendously.

“Did you know that 40% of all U.S. homes have guns?” This might be because they hunt, or want to protect themselves. We believe that it is O.K to own guns if you know how to use them but some people are also not educated about guns for many reasons.

“Firearms are generally classified into three broad types: (1) handguns, (2) rifles, and (3) shotguns Rifles and shotguns are both considered long guns. Handguns comprise of 52% of all new guns sold to U.S. civilians and law enforcement in 2014, as compared to 35% in 2000.”

We think that assault weapons should not be able to be accessed by civilians. However, we think that hunting guns such as rifles and shotguns are fine as long as someone has a hunter's license and is trained on how to use the gun.

Guns can be mistreated and that is when people can become hurt. The United States has the largest rate of gun violence in the world and we think that this could change if there is a stop to purchasing assault weapons. In a recent survey, “81% of Americans say that gun control will be an important issue in determining which Congressional candidate to vote for. In addition,  91% of Americans say that there should be at least minor restrictions on gun ownership, and 57% of Americans say that there should be major restrictions or a ban on guns.”

As the President of the United States, you should take charge not just for this generation but for future generations on gun control. We think that as the President you are capable to step up and help civilians to do the right thing and that you can change the fear that citizens have of each other.

Zach Blumenfeld & Latane Montague

Work Cited

"Gun Control – Just Facts." Gun Control – Just Facts. N.p., n.d. Web. 07 Nov. 2016.

"Gun Control." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, n.d. Web. 07 Nov. 2016.

"Background on Gun Control." Background on Gun Control. N.p., n.d. Web. 07 Nov. 2016.

JH Lab School Letters

Ms. C's English Classes

The Lab School of Washington's 7th Grade English Classes