Diya R. New York

Renewable Energy

Energy is a big problem in the United States. People don’t know that when they switch on a light, they could be hurting the Earth and wasting its resources.

When I was in elementary school, I went to the first public green school in New York City. All its energy comes from renewable sources, mainly solar panels. Through the six years I spent there, I learned a lot about the harm fossil fuels do and its easy alternatives. I gradually became more and more passionate about the topic. Then when I switched schools for middle schools, I got a project about renewable energy. I researched about fossil fuels and alternate energy sources. That is when I realized how bad this problem is and how urgently we need to solve it. Did you know that according to a Business Standard article called “How Long Will Fossil Fuels Last?”, we will run out of oil in 53 years, natural gas in 54 and coal in 110 which are the three types of fossil fuels? This means that in 110 years, we can’t get energy from fossil fuels anymore. Without energy we can’t heat our homes in the winter, use refrigerators to keep our food from spoiling, and a number of other things. So, it will force us to use renewable energy. What about the fact that fossil fuels cause global warming? There are so many alternatives out there already though.

The people of America, including experts such as a professor from Harvard University, want renewable energy. According to the EIA (Energy Information Association) and safeenergy.com, 80% of Americans want solar and wind energy to increase a lot and another 10% want solar and wind energy to somewhat increase. Also, a government professor at Harvard University, named Stephen Ansolabehere, said “Americans want to move away from coal, oil and nuclear power and toward wind and solar.” Almost all Americans want renewable energy, so why not give them what they want?

All we need is a plan. Lester Brown, president of the Earth Policy Institute, said, “Under a rapid expansion program, the world could have nearly five million megawatts of wind power by 2020”. He later added, “Combined with an ambitious solar and geothermal expansion, along with new hydro projects in the pipeline, this would total 7.5 million megawatts of renewable generating capacity, enabling us to back out all the coal and oil and most of the natural gas now used to generate electricity.” What he is saying is that if we have a plan and we work fast, we will have 7.5 million megawatts of renewable energy by 2020. That is just 4 years!

So, future President, I urge you to please start using a renewable energy source such as solar or wind energy. You will not only be saving the Earth by reducing global warming and saving the Earth’s resources, you will be showing millions of Americans that you care about what they think.

Thank you for taking the time to hear what I had to say!

Best Regards,

Diya R.

Sources:

"Americans Want America To Run On Solar and Wind." Forbes. N.p., n.d.

"Can the World Run on Renewable Energy?" Wharton. N.p., n.d. W

"How Long Will Fossil Fuels Last?" Business Standard. N.p., n.d. Web.

"How Much U.S. Electricity Is Generated from Renewable Energy?" EIA. N.p., n.d. Web

"Yes, America Wants Solar and Wind, Not Nukes." Safe Energy. N.p., n.d.Web.

NYC Lab Middle School

NYC Lab Middle School

Lab students have been painfully subjected to three debates where they searched for policy talk. Four and a half hours later.. Now, our students will have the chance to speak about an issue of importance and possibly make a recommendation for improvement.