Gabriella New York

Stricter and Stronger Gun Laws

Guns have been killing thousands of people including children for a long time, but now with newer technology guns are just getting more dangerous and can shoot even more per minute but the laws that control them have not changed. You need to work with Congress to address this issue.

As the next leader of the United States of America you will have a chance to make a change in our world. What will you do? What will your leadership inspire? According to evertown research, about 91 Americans are killed with some type of firearm every single day. Imagine what families you could keep together.

According to the guardian, approximately 1 out of every 5 American has a gun. And though all of these people should have their guns in safe and secure areas, 300,000 to 600,000 firearms are stolen each year. That tells me that much stricter regulations on how a gun can be kept must be put in place. Additionally we need to make stronger laws for those that want to own a gun. We need to include background. checks for any type of gun and make sure these people don’t have any sort of issue that would cause for any misuse of their gun.

Furthermore, we need to revise the second amendment. It was written 225 years ago, and just compare what our guns are capable of, and what they could do two centuries ago. This amendment was written when we would use guns to protect ourselves and family from bears and other wild animal threats. As shown in the Sandy Hook Elementary school shooting, a man went and shot and killed 20 students between ages 6 and 7 and 6 teachers. This was extremely depressing to me especially since I am an older sister and I couldn't comprehend this happening to either of my siblings, also that would be a classroom full of first graders. Innocent young children. And I wanted to help make sure something like this would never ever happen again. Enforce these laws and save that future classroom.

Gabriella C

NYC Lab Middle School

NYC Lab Middle School

Lab students have been painfully subjected to three debates where they searched for policy talk. Four and a half hours later.. Now, our students will have the chance to speak about an issue of importance and possibly make a recommendation for improvement.