Emma K. California

America's Broken Healthcare System: There is a solution

Millions of Americans do not have access to healthcare, which is simply not acceptable. America should follow by example of every other Western industrialized country and pass into law a single-payer health insurance system.

Dear Future President of the United States,

It is clear that being President of the United States is a large burden to bear. You are constantly under media and political surveillance, being pressed and prodded for information about every decision you make, which I can only imagine as being extremely overwhelming. My point is that I commend you for taking on so much and I want you to know that there are people out there, such as me, who recognize the difficulty of your position.

As the person in charge of creating and implementing policies in our vast nation, I am sure you are aware of the great impact you have on the future of our country’s prosperity and maintenance. I believe that healthcare should be at the top of the list of flawed systems that our country needs to address because many millions of Americans do not have access to any form of healthcare, while at the same time, the costs of healthcare in this country have been spiraling out of control. Although I am a sixteen-year-old girl blessed with the privilege of being part of a family that can afford healthcare, I still feel deeply passionate about the lack of access to care that millions of citizens in this country face.

President Obama attempted to address this issue by signing into law the Affordable Care Act, also known as ObamaCare. While this was a huge step in the right direction, there are still many people in the United States without health insurance. I believe that every American, no matter their socio-economic position, should have access to health insurance. It seems wrong to me that in the wealthiest country in the world, quality healthcare is provided only to those who can afford it.

A single-payer health insurance program would accomplish the dual goals of providing healthcare to all at an affordable cost. In every other Western industrialized country such a national system exists. I understand that it may be difficult to pass a bill authorizing such an expansive and progressive program through Congress, but it is the best option for assuring universal healthcare at a reasonable cost for everyone. Accomplishing this task would be your legacy and have positive effects for generations to come.

Good luck and I hope you make the most of the next four years.

Emma Kopelowicz

Marlborough School

AP World History Period H

Letters to the Next President