Mathilde S. California

Equal Healthcare Rights

Healthcare should be a right, not a luxury.

I would like to begin by congratulating you on your election as President. I am a junior in high school living in Newbury Park, California. During the elections, and for a long time prior to them, I have been interested in a subject I find to be of utmost importance in our country: healthcare. I have always considered that healthcare should be seen as a right, not a luxury. Due to my European background and being influenced by my education as well, no matter how wealthy one is, health should be completely equal for every citizen in the United States. I am stunned every time I read any article in the newspaper or any literary works in general demonstrating the misery caused by poor health conditions many people live with. To learn that people can not only lose their homes but their lives because they do not have the money to pay their medical bills is devastating, and quite frankly, shameful. I believe that all healthcare systems are at such a critical level, that they should not only be reformed, but rethought. The insurance systems should not be controlled by the market (supply and demand). It should not be a business. However, it should be regulated by the administrations at the federal level, paid by our taxes, and controlled by laws.

Why do various insurances have preferred prices for medications, and if one is a non-insured, why do they have to pay ten times the price? Is it normal that the exact same medications can be much more expensive than in Mexico, or even Europe? What about the doctors: are the American doctors that good that they can be paid at least five times more than European doctors? It could be easier to lower the price of healthcare, but only with a strong political will. It would be difficult, but possible.

I believe that you will do everything in your power to change the world for all Americans.

Mathilde S.

Newbury Park High School

English 11IB period 2A

High school English IB course