Allie Arkansas

Prices of Organic Foods

The prices for organic foods should be lowered so that more people will be able to purchase foods that are better for their health.

I, Allie Saunders, a freshman at Searcy high school, feel very strongly about an issue that hopefully you can help solve. In America today, more than every two in three adults are considered to be overweight or obese. This fact has to do with the accessibility of organic and inorganic foods. Organic foods are much more expensive than inorganic foods and fast food. This is a large factor in the percentage of Americans that are overweight. I am writing this letter to you because I believe that the prices for organic foods should be lowered. 

The government is always speaking out about how they want America to become healthier. One of the main things they do to make this health movement is making school lunches healthier. Sure, this will help the children who do buy their lunch at school have a healthier more filling meal, but what about when these children get home? Students will get home from school feeling very hungry and will pretty much snack on the first thing they can get their hands on. In some households it might be chips and a soda, or it could be carrots and a glass of water. This is determined by the household and what groceries are purchased. Although it seems like a choice to most what groceries are bought, it isn't always. Some families don't have enough money to buy the healthier choices because of their income, whether they want to or not. I don't see how this could possibly be right in anyone's eyes. If we want Americans to become healthier, then we have we not lowered the costs for organic foods? 

Based on a 2,000-calorie per day diet, the cost of a full junk food diet would be about $3.52 per day while a diet full of low-energy dense foods would cost about $36.32 per day. For someone to be able to afford the healthier diet, they would have to have a high income. Even then, very few people would be able to afford this diet if it were for a family of 4 or more.

To conclude, if you truly want Americans to become healthier, then you should look into lowering the prices of the foods that will help them achieve that lifestyle.

Allie Saunders