Kaylin H. Arkansas

Peace for r*pe victims

In this letter I have composed several issues that America faces today. This includes the lack of respect towards rape survivors and the debate over the legalization of abortion.

Dear POTUS,

In this world, there are many imperfections to the fundamentals our country have been standing on for centuries. One of these corporations we thrive on is the criminal justice system. Especially in the last five years, there have been many flaws that have simmered to the surface in the system. Legal prosecutors from the beginning of time have pressured young women to a different story in the preconceived notion that women lie about sexual assault. Similar to the American bias that some races are more violent than others, there has been a growing stereotype of female inferiority. According to the National Sexual Assault Hotline, out of every 1,000 rapes, 994 perpetrators will walk free of jail/prison time. An article in the Washington Post highlights the growing rate of untested rape kits that are sitting in police storage units while rapists walk free of charge and their victims live with injustice. Large amounts of government funds and time have been used on targeting drug crimes, particularly marijuana possession instead of taking the minimum of a few hours (when done within a time period of the rape) to evaluate a victim’s story. Disregarding these kits show to victims of rape that their suffering does not matter to the justice system. There is a problem when a sexual molestation takes place, as well as confessed by the perpetrator, on American soil and the perpetrator received 2 days in jail with parole (Virginia, 2009). Children have to grow up on the foundation that their God given right to a fair trial was not properly justified. While state laws allow judge the ability to impose a jail sentence for trespassing, the potential jail sentences for most trespassing convictions range from several days to several months in jail. Some states allow for up to a year or more in jail for the most serious trespassing crimes. However, a woman confesses the trespassing of her own body and many prosecutions go unseen due to lack of evidence or given bare-minimum jail time (3-6 years) then released early due to “good behavior”.

Another issue I have been interested in the controversy over the right to have an abortion. Surgical abortion has been proven to be one of the safest types of medical procedures. Abortion has not always been so safe, many women died or had serious medical problems as a result between the 1880s and 1973. Women often made desperate and dangerous attempts on having their own abortion. Making abortion illegal would limit the right to control your own body and puts women’s bodies at risk. Many of the doctors who provide abortions in the United States today are committed to providing this service under medically safe conditions. According to the most recent federal data, there are currently more than 400,000 children in foster care in the United States. They range in age from infants to 21 years old (in some states). Foster Care has become an alternative to parents who need another option for their children. However many of these children (approximately 20,000 youth every year) will age out of the foster care system without ever being adopted. These statistics show that the common adoption alternative to abortion is invalid. Children who age out of the foster care system are at increased risk of poor educational outcomes, experiencing homelessness, and being unemployed. In the system, many children have been overmedicated due to unruly behavior that is common in young kids, especially ones who have been abandoned. However the foster care system has improved its credibility since the many reports filed throughout the 1980s. I have personal experience with the topic of the foster care system and can assure that it is not safe to put your child at risk of being in different families’ houses or facilities, even with government supervision.

With the love that citizens of the United States have also follows imperfection and injustice. There will always be the continuing oppression on certain groups of people. Being the President of a world power country, you must be concerned with the wellbeing of the people you are guiding. The convictions of minor crimes over serious ones have become larger which is a flaw that has to be discussed among the justice system. Many women in the United States have felt like their rights have been tampered with due to the lack of empathy. I understand the duties and responsibilities you have been given as the President but I hope that you will take the time to asses these predicaments.

Thank You.

http://www.adoptuskids.org/meet-the-children/children-in-foster-care/about-the-children

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3394428/

http://www.911rape.org/facts-quotes/statistics

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/07/16/untested-rape-kits-evidence-across-usa/29902199/ 

Searcy High School

Ms. Simpson's PAP American History Class

Searcy High School Searcy, AR