Kate Michigan

Presidential Duty

My stance on America's current wage gap issue between men and women in the working world.

To the President,

I am aware that making an impact on you may be considered a “long-shot”, I am aware that I am only a high school student, and I am aware that you hold one of the highest positions in today's global hierarchy, but I am also aware that my voice has power. I am not one to sugar-coat, I know that it is extremely difficult for a single person to have a national impact, but I know that it is not impossible.

I am writing to you about the unethical plague that is still present across 21st century America - the wage gap between men and women in the working world. In history classes starting at the elementary level, the mistreatment of women when compared to men in society is integrated into the minds of the American population. We are also taught that all of this injustice is now behind us. Then, most likely, when students enter their junior year of high school, they learn that this is not the truth. American students are blindsided with the fact that gender inequality is in fact present in their world. This may not cause uprisings, and this may not be a fueling force of determination, but as humans, we have been conditioned to differentiate right from wrong, and high schoolers, as no exception, know that this is undeniably wrong. It is a simple concept really - when two people perform the same task with equal outcomes - each person deserves equivalent rewards. I believe that the factor of gender has no place in this equation. I believe that this injustice must end in order for our nation and our world to progress not only in industry, but also through humanitarianism.

According to the Institute for Women’s Policy Research, female full-time workers made only 80 cents for every dollar earned by men in 2015, and according to the U.S. Census Bureau, this earnings ratio hasn’t experienced annual change since 2007. If this gender gap of 20% continues to change at its snail-like pace, the Institute for Women’s Policy Research projects that women will not reach equal pay until the year 2152. You must understand that this issue is too unethical to remain unsolved for over one hundred more years. You must understand that you will not be the President of the United States in the year 2152, and you must understand that you have the power to change this in the present day.

I am confident in that fact that with great power, comes great responsibility and you must further understand that you are representing the voice of America’s future. In the terms of my own future, I plan on pursuing a career in medicine, and eventually having a family. I am telling you this because I cannot imagine raising my children in a world where women have lower wages than men, simply due to their gender. The children of today and of the future do not deserve to be forced to understand why “Mommy” cannot make as much money as “Daddy”. As the upcoming generations of America are being classified as increasingly progressive and acceptant, you have the responsibility to represent this modern ideal.

Now this issue’s solution may seem simple, but I understand that this is easier said than done. I must admit that I do not have a full-proof solution for you, nor do I expect immediate results to show. Although, I believe that with the appropriate government support, time, and trust, that you can restore the main ideal our country was built upon - equality.

Thank you for your consideration.

Kate Rogowski 

Eisele IB ELA 12

IB