Guido Maryland

Losing the War on Cancer

Central ideas of how the U.S has lost the war on cancer and how they can resolve it for the better of our country

Dear, Mr. (s) President

Cancer affects millions every year by economical and personal losses but we need big Pharmaceutical companies to stop obfuscating the truth on cures/treatments that are more effective and cheaper. But that’s just it these companies don’t care about people’s lives they just care about profit and this is shown throughout history time and time again.

The war on cancer has been lost due to the secrecy of better and cheaper treatments by large Pharmaceutical companies. At the beginning of the last century, one person in twenty would get cancer. In the 1940’s it was one in every sixteen, the 1970’s one out of ten, and now today one out of three people will have cancer in their life. After so much time with this disease there should be a very effective treatment to have high percentages of survival no matter how early or late the condition is but that is not shown today. Are you socked yet? There are more devastating statistics that are kept from the public. The statistics above were the credit of the Science-Based Medicine article "why we haven't cured cancer yet".

All throughout history cancer drugs and treatments have risen an exponential rate almost to the point of unaffordability. In 1965, at the dawn of Medicare, the chemotherapy drug Vinblastine cost $78 a month, according to a widely cited Sloan-Kettering price compendium. In 2011, Bristol-Myers Squibb introduced a new melanoma drug called Yervoy at a cost of about $30,000 a month for a three-month treatment. Yervoy followed, by about a year, a new prostate-cancer therapy called Provenge that cost $93,000 per course of treatment. According, to the NCBI (National Center for Biotechnology Information). These statistics all but show that the cancer industry do not care for a cure or effective treatments, they only care about profit.

These major Pharmaceutical companies do not care about people they only care about profit and power. The cancer industry is probably the most prosperous business in the United States as their drugs that they sell to treat cancer are very ineffective and very expensive. People are starting to get angry with the government and answers to their questions on why cancer isn’t cured or even a high survival rate. Theories on whether the government or these big cancer pharmaceutical companies are withholding the truth about whether or not there are cures or secret treatments that are being withheld based off of profit or a sub-plot to take care of the world’s rapid population growth.

Unfortunately I know all too well about the effects of cancer as my uncle had it way before I was born. My father would tell me stories of how my uncle suffered through the painful effects of leukemia at the age of twelve. The stories about how my grandfather would go to the public library on his break from work to research treatments that would further advance his recovery from the disease. The stories of how many times my father, aunt, and uncle weren’t allowed certain things because of all of the bills and debt from the cost of the treatments. Now Mr. (s) President I ask you to imagine if someone close to you was affected by this disease and you were just an average American making $60,000 a year, how would you fair?

As our executive officer and commander in chief I ask you Mr. (s) President to make a great push against cancer. We want you to find out the truth and to finally be the one to explain this to the public and to give us answers to questions we have been asking since the start of this century. You have this great power, now are you going to give the public and families the justice and answers they deserve or be corrupted by money and clandestinity.