Conor P. Maryland

Racial Profiling

Racial profiling is an attack on the everyday citizen of a different nationality, and while it may never be eradicated completely, it’s a problem of racism that is beyond hurtful. No leader should be allowed to racial profile, a higher standard must be set.

Racial profiling is an attack on the everyday citizen of a different nationality, and while it may never be eradicated completely, it’s a problem of racism that is beyond hurtful. No leader should be allowed to racial profile, a higher standard must be set. Racial profiling is the discrimination of people because of their race or ethnicity as grounds for having someone believed to have committed an offense.

In America racial profiling is a serious and unforgivable problem that is illegal by the laws set in place by the constitution. The Fourth Amendment states, “The right of the people to be secure in their persons houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.” These laws are set to defend the people from unfair judgement just because of their race, such as being stopped and frisked just because they are African American or Arab in the airports having to go through extra security.

The issue of profiling derives from fear that masses of people and police form because of stereotypes that have nearly been set in stone by the public. According to The Guardian, the numbers of Middle Eastern descent who were arrested after 9/11 ranged from 900 to 1,200 and held with no charge was unconstitutional, and something deserving of an oppressive government rather than our democracy. Hispanic immigrants are automatically assumed to be Mexican drug dealers, or are criticised for taking available jobs. African Americans and Mexicans have a quarter of their populations in america in jail for the amount of drugs sold, but to look at these poor people and judge the rest on a whim is disgusting. The general population and some police fall into traps set for them solely by what they hear from racist propaganda.

Leading up to this election, both of our candidates have stated that they wish racism gone. One of them wishes for a peaceful way to end the problem which is to strengthen relations between all American people--all ethnicities and races. Another candidate wishes to use tactics from World War II, such as closing the border, internment camps, and unconstitutional searches. However, these tactics overlook the very nature that these verbal and sometimes physical attacks, are both unethical and unconstitutional. This kind of behavior requires a proper form of punishment from the government, not an endorsement by the government.

Presidents and candidates must be held to an even higher standard than citizens. It should be that a president who uses racial profiling as a crutch to explain problems like drugs, problems in the economy and terrorism, is disqualified from even running as president. I pray that you make the right choices for our country.