Albi Michigan

Political Correctness (And Why it isn't Correct)

Dear New President, there is a rather large problem in the United States as of now, and that is: Political Correctness.

Enforced by many college students throughout the U.S., political correctness is the change of terms to create a less hostile environment for those that have been harshly targeted by said terms, although, that’s what it’s made out to be. Political correctness is actually the abridgment of a language so that the extremely sensitive population of today’s America may not be “offended”, and is imposed upon us with a vehemence that cannot be stopped with logic and reasoning.

Now Mr. or Mrs. President, do not get me wrong when I say that we should absolutely get rid of political correctness. However, there is a very fine line between a band of people grouping together to protest against words that come off as cross toward said band of people and the senseless coddling and spoonfeeding to this group of protesters to give them a false sense of accomplishment so that they may think it a sound idea to completely omit people with differing philosophies and opinions, purely on the flimsy basis that these philosophies and opinions are “offensive”.

One very frequent example of this careless coddling and spoonfeeding is the infamous “trigger warning”. Originally meant to warn those with P.T.S.D. that any content that is going to be shown to them may trigger their traumatic experience(s), the trigger warning has been twisted into a meaningless warning to college students that any content that they will witness may considered to be somewhat rude. Although some colleges are removing these trigger warnings from their campuses, the absolute fact that these warnings have existed and still do exist is absolutely appalling to me, because there certainly is no purpose to treating near-adults like babies.

Hopefully, Mr. or Mrs. President, you realize this, and put some sort of procedure in order, one that encourages the future population of America to believe that when things do not go their way, that it is okay. Hopefully, you stick the idea to the oversensitive that being offended is not an argument to get someone to stop speaking and that it is a simple emotion that may easily get the best of someone.

Albi 

Allen Park High School

APHS Advanced Placement Language and Composition

Allen Park High School is located in Southeastern Michigan. AP Lang studies rhetoric. Additionally, students produce text to narrate, persuade, and inform.