Madeleine S. Michigan

Some Babies Die By Chance, But None Should Die By Choice

There are four points that can shut down any arguments made by pro-choice believers.

Every human being has their own inalienable right to life. Why is it okay in America for some babies to be killed before they are born? 

Pro-Choice believers argue that it is the women's right to choose to have an abortion. However, before the woman can make this choice, we first need to determine what it is. They will say, it is not a baby because of its location. Women will say this because the fetus is located in their body. However, if a baby is located in Canada or Australia, it is still a baby. Location does not make a fetus less of a person. According to Scott Klusendorf, a Pro-Life debater, how does "Where you are, have any bearing on who you are?" 

Pro-Choice believers argue because the fetus is so small, then it is not alive. "What could be living when something is as small as a dot?" Its simple, the baby has a heartbeat at the third week of pregnancy. When abortions are performed in the mid to late first trimester, the baby has hands, arms, and feet. Size does not determine if a person is human or not. If that was the case, then pro-choice believers are saying a toddler is less human than adult because they are smaller... Are large people more human than small people? 

Pro-Choice believers argue that because the fetus relies on the mother then it is not human. There are adults and kids everyday that have to rely on something or they will die. For example, thousands of people on a daily basis need life support equipment to stay alive.  Diabetics require insulin to maintain their proper blood sugar levels to stay alive. Therefore, do pro choice believers think that if a person is dependent on life support or insulin, then they are less human than someone who is not?  

Pro-choice believers argue that the fetus does not have enough awareness to be granted rights of personhood. Does self awareness and intelligence define us as human? People that have consumed too much alcohol and become drunk don't have full awareness of their behavior and surroundings. Do these actions make them any less human than the baby. A newborn is less developed, but these cognitive qualities develop over time. 

Americans are putting more effort into evidence of saying this HUMAN baby is not human. When there are four points that can shut down any of the hundreds of arguments made by pro-choice believers. All of their arguments avoid the fact that this fetus is obviously a human being that deserves the same rights as me.

Allen Park High School

APHS Advanced Placement Language and Composition

Allen Park High School is located in Southeastern Michigan. AP Lang studies rhetoric. Additionally, students produce text to narrate, persuade, and inform.