Dustin M. Michigan

Save The Environment, Save The Nation

The health of the environment is essential to human life. With the polluting, inefficient energy that powers the U.S., we are not helping. We need to switch to cleaner, renewable energy if we want to save both the nation, and the environment.

Found at http://www.crystalinks.com/pollution.

Terrorists may be roaming the world and the economy may be in danger, but the most important problem at hand is the environment. America primarily uses non-renewable, polluting energy that harms the environment. If we continue this, not only will we run out of energy, but we won’t have clean air to breathe. We need to fix this.

The main problem is energy. Our energy is polluting and won’t last much longer, but there are solutions. We can begin by adding windmills in unused land, and putting solar panels on buildings. Next, we can harness the waters to create hydroelectric power, and use recycles biological material to create bio-energy. All of these are great options to reduce pollution, and they are renewable, which means that they will never run out. As a final step, we can eliminate all usage of the polluting forms of energy we currently have.

“The United States currently relies heavily on coal, oil, and natural gas for its energy. Fossil fuels are nonrenewable, that is, they draw on finite resources that will eventually dwindle, becoming too expensive or too environmentally damaging to retrieve. In contrast, the many types of renewable energy resources-such as wind and solar energy-are constantly replenished and will never run out,” (http://www.renewableenergyworld.com/index/tech.html). We need to stop this! Not only switching our energy, but by Conserving energy, says http://des.nh.gov/organization/divisions/air/tsb/ams/aqmdp/share.htm . “Remember to turn off lights, computers, and electric appliances when not in use. Use energy efficient light bulbs and appliances."

Participate in your local utility’s energy conservation programs. Limit driving by carpooling, using public transportation, biking and walking. Combine errands for fewer trips. Keep your automobile well tuned and maintained. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions on routine maintenance, such as changing the oil and filters, and checking tire pressure and wheel alignment. Avoid excessive idling of your automobile.

Use electric or hand-powered lawn care equipment. Be careful not to spill gasoline when filling up your car or gasoline powered lawn and garden equipment. Run dishwashers and clothes washers only when full. Choose environmentally friendly cleaners. Use water-based or solvent free paints whenever possible and buy products that say "low VOC". Seal containers of household cleaners, workshop chemicals and solvents, and garden chemicals to prevent volatile organic compounds from evaporating into the air. Purchase and use low-polluting outboard marine engines and personal watercraft (4-stroke and direct fuel injection 2-stroke outboard marine engines). Advocate for emission reductions from power plants and more stringent national vehicle emission standards.”

Although many say that the environment isn’t a huge problem right now, even if it isn’t, it will be very soon, and it will only get harder to fix. If we convert our energy and try to reduce pollution in our everyday lives, we can create a cleaner country, and a cleaner world! Because as the environment dies, so will the people. So I ask you, Future President. Are you up to the challenge?

Dustin M.

Avondale High School

Avondale High School

Honors English 10