K.R. New York

Guns might be in the wrong hands

Gun violence has become one of the main issues in the United States which is why the future president needs to take action before it gets too late.

I’m a student from Brooklyn International High School in New York. The reason why I’m writing this letter is because the United States is having a lot of shootings and it makes me think that I am not safe outside. Lots of young people I know worry that someone is going to come and open fire. I think you need to address this issue right away because people in the United States do not feel safe and free because of this gun violence. I believe that our national government needs to make laws to control guns for the whole country because we need to feel safer and having more guns is not going to solve the issue but it could make things worse instead.

Allowing people or students to have handguns will not end the issue that all of us are facing right now. The national government needs to think twice before making a decision because a wrong one could affect all of us. According to Associated Press, the state law in Texas will allow students to carry handguns in their universities. However students must be 21 years old in order to get a licence that allows them to have handguns. But what’s going to happen to those who are younger than 21? I believe they are going to feel even more unsafe and insecure based on the fact that they won’t have something to protect themselves. Also, according to Anna M. Tinsley, people in Texas are having a lot of protests because they want to carry guns openly. If somehow the state allows them to have their guns for everyone to see, other people will not even want to stay outside because we all know that if we see someone with a gun in their hands or even in their pockets, we’re going to feel uncomfortable and we might want to stay away.

I believe all of the states must follow the 2nd Amendment which allows the right for all people to own guns, but it could be very helpful if you think carefully about the people who buy guns. I urge you to take action on this issue as soon as possible so we can feel safe in our society.

K.R.

References

https://newsela.com/articles/texas-gunsoncampus/id/15111/

https://newsela.com/articles/txgun-

Brooklyn International High School

BIHS Seniors 2016-17

Brooklyn International High School, in New York City, is a public school for recent immigrants to the U.S.