M.M.M. New York

Hatred Toward Muslims After 9/11

Muslims in the United States experience violence in their daily life after 9/11 due to the idea of Muslims being terrorists

Dear Next President of the United State of America,

Two weeks ago, I was working in a store and a man came in and started flirting with me. He asked me out on a date, and I said, I am Muslim and I cannot. He responded by saying that I was a terrorist and I needed to get out of the United States. I told my manager and he took care of the man, but I felt really bad. I felt scared like that man might tell someone else and he might keep making more hate. Islamophobia, which is fear of Muslims, is a big problem that you should address because not all Muslim people are bad or terrorists. In fact, the majority of Muslim people in the US are here to make a change and make their lives better. Many of us are here to escape the war.

A college student has been kicked off a plane and questioned by the FBI for speaking Arabic. The FBI agents took him into a separate room and questioned him about his Muslim background. There are Muslims removed from airplanes because of increase in discrimination against Muslims. Makhzoomi was angry and upset about the way he was treated unfairly. This is not the first time Muslims have been kicked off flights because of discrimination.

Ahmed Mohamed, who was arrested on September 14, 2015, after showing a homemade clock to a teacher at his high school. He has filed a lawsuit against his former school district, its principal, and the city of Irving, Texas. "The amount of support he received through social media surprised him said Ahmed. He has received hateful comments as well, but he tries not to let negativity faze him. Online threats have made him nervous and the rest of his family tries to stay out of the spotlight, he said. While he’s in the U.S., he plans to take up invitations to visit well-known companies that followed in the wake of his arrest, even if he gets some negative attention along the way."

M.

Brooklyn International High School

BIHS Seniors 2016-17

Brooklyn International High School, in New York City, is a public school for recent immigrants to the U.S.