Skylar S. Colorado

Climate Change is on The Rise

The climate is changing rapidly, for worse. What can we do to reverse the effects?

Throughout my lifetime, I have heard and witnessed the stability of our planet change, along with the quality of life. And as I’ve matured in age and wisdom, I can conclude that the reason why this is true is due to lack of care for our planet. I've seen people litter, pollute our water sources, and seen the amount of traffic accumulated in highly populated regions. Even though the fight to resolve this solution may be hard, I heavily suggest you to educate yourself or open a blind eye to how these actions affect the only planet we can live on.

Climate Change is on the rise and having a more negative than positive impact on our planet because of a major rise in human activity. There are more deaths that have been scientifically proven to be caused by an increase of greenhouse gases, not recycling, and having little consideration for what we are doing to the planet. To me, and to everyone else, Climate Change should not be taken lightly and it matters because so far, scientifically, this is the only planet that can sustain life. And once our planet is gone or un-liveable, there is no “second chance”. According to U.N. Secretary General Kofi Annan, “Climate Change disasters kill an estimated 300,000 people per year and cause an estimated $125 billion in economic losses.” This goes to prove that the change in climate really is having a major change in our environment and is costing us many lives and a great deal of money. Along with deaths and money, on a hot day, there is a lot more “smog” hazing our atmosphere, which can lead to respiratory problems and could be a possible cause for cancers.

Furthermore, the issue of Climate Change supposedly could be making people susceptible to illnesses in developing countries. Some examples are malnutrition, diarrheal disease, malaria, and heat-related ailments. This validates that Climate Change has a very big effect on the lives of people living in developing countries, but all in all, is affecting us as well. More alarming info could be the fact that “Emission levels in ‘08 were 40% higher than in ‘98. This is a major jump in just 10 years. It demonstrates that we are causing damage very rapidly to our planet by our careless acts.

I assert that in order to save our planet, we MUST make a change. We must recycle and not litter, carpool or only use a car for when it is necessary, and reduce our carbon footprint. If these actions are not taken, our planet will surely die because we did not eliminate the causes of the downfall of our planet. To our future president, you do have the chance to make a change, to spread the message, and I highly recommend you do.

Skylar S.