Cailyn New Mexico

Milk-is it healthy?

I think we should study more on if milk is actually healthy for children. Schools give there students milk and tell them its healthy for you. Is it really?

Milk was intended for babies only, but teens and adults both drink it daily. They say that milk does good for the body but research says they have found that contrary to popular belief, drinking milk may do more harm to our bodies than good. Milk might strengthen your bones but it causes weight loss and that can be bad for you. Cows milk is only for calves. Many scientific studies contradict the conventional wisdom that milk and dairy consumption help reduce osteoporotic fractures. The milk myth resonates loud and clear: in 2001, the average American child consumed 104 quarts of cow’s milk. The milk myth has spread around the world based on the flawed belief that this protein and calcium-rich drink is essential to support good overall health and bone health in particular at any age. I drink milk everyday, i seem to be healthy.

Milk is frequently found at the top of many household grocery lists in the US and parts of Europe, but is rarely consumed in Asian and African countries.Milk can come from many different species. Cows, sheep and goat milk are the most popularly consumed. There are also many "milk alternatives" available such as soymilk, almond milk, coconut milk and hemp milk.This article will focus on cow's milk. Even cow's milk comes in many varieties including flavored, lactose-free, milk with added omega-3s, hormone free, organic and reduced fat milk.

Whether milk is actually a healthy choice depends on the individual and type of milk being consumed. Some milk is high in protein, low in added sugar and free of unnecessary additives, but there are also flavored milks that have just as much sugar as a can of soda.For someone with a milk allergy, any kind of milk would be off limits. Lactose intolerant individuals may be able to tolerate lactose-free milks depending on their level of intolerance. Vegans avoiding animal products would not consume true milk at all and would likely opt for a milk alternative such as soy or almond milk.