Gabriel P. New York

Death with Dignity

Thousands of Americans don't have the right to die with dignity when they have a severe illness. It is time for a change.

Euthanasia is a very serious topic that you should carefully think about. It takes into account serious issues like quality of life, and life itself.

This issue is important to America because it could help thousands of people like Tony Nicklinson who had locked in syndrome and was a quadriplegic. He suffered and was not allowed to end his life with dignity, but instead stopped eating until he passed away 6 days later. Instead of letting him end a life of intense pain and suffering he died in pain.

The first reason I believe that euthanasia should be legalized is because most people support it. According to a Gallup poll about euthanasia  7/10 of people approve of euthanasia. As for the other 3/10, I do hope this letter will persuade them to change their opinions.

The second reason I believe euthanasia should be legalized is that according to Procon.org, many reputable doctors approve of euthanasia. They stated that , if the terminally ill can’t have assisted suicide with their loved ones having a good last day, they will probably kill themselves anyway.

The last reason why euthanasia should be legalized is that many other countries and states in the United States already legalized it, such as Belgium, Canada, Colombia, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Switzerland, Oregon, Washington, Vermont, California. Passive euthanasia* is legal in Ireland, Italy, Colombia, India, Germany and Sweden.

One way that you could help with the legalization of euthanasia is appointing a Supreme Court Justice who approves of euthanasia. Previously the votes were 4-4 with justice Kennedy having the deciding vote. Appointing a pro euthanasia justice would lead to a 5-4 or 6-3 rulings on the next euthanasia (case according to Life News) and greatly help thousands of Americans end their suffering.

All in all  it will help thousands of people end their suffering. So I ask you to allow people to end their life with dignity, and without pain so please pass the death with dignity bill in the entire United States.

An advocate of change

* passive euthanasia is when the patient dies because the doctors don't do something that is needed to keep the patient alive, or when they stop doing something that is keeping the patient alive.

NYC Lab Middle School

NYC Lab Middle School

Lab students have been painfully subjected to three debates where they searched for policy talk. Four and a half hours later.. Now, our students will have the chance to speak about an issue of importance and possibly make a recommendation for improvement.