Carter L. Minnesota

School Lunches

We need to find better food options that kids will like and give bigger servings that will fill them up.

The lunches at our school aren’t very good and they don’t give you that much. Most of the time I don’t even want to eat the lunch and after lunch I am still hungry because the portions are so small. “They found that students discarded roughly 40 percent of fruit on their trays and 60 to 75 percent of vegetables”. Kids at schools don’t like the food that is being served and are leaving lunch hungry. I believe improving school lunches should be the priority of our future president because kids don’t like the school lunches and are still hungry after lunch.

I believe we need to find some better lunch options that are good and still healthy and fill kids up so they aren’t hungry. The lunches don’t taste good, and as a result,  kids stop buying school lunches. “A total of 1,086,000 kids stopped buying school lunches”. Schools are losing money and kids are forced to bring lunches from home. In addition, kids are still hungry after lunch. Kids are still hungry for the rest of the day. New federal regulations limiting calories in school lunches have some students claiming they go home hungry. Kids that are still hungry affects their learning. We need to make better lunches that kids will like and make sure they are getting enough food.

The other perspective on this topic is that the lunches should be healthy and smaller portions so it’s better for kids. Healthier lunches are better for kids.The healthier lunches prevent obesity. “The new standards are among the most important efforts to improve children’s health”. Healthy meals are good for kids but kids don’t like them.

We need to find good options that kids will like but that are still healthy. We need portions that will fill kids up. The global goal this topic relates too is Global Goal #3 Good health and Well-being. It would help kids get better lunches that they would like. This affects kids because if kids are still hungry after lunch it will affect their learning.

Carter Logan

Chaska Middle School East

Mrs. Johnson's 8th Grade Global Studies

Global Studies class letters connecting national issues to the UN's Global Goals.