Sumaiya I. Georgia

How school lunch can be more appealing to teenagers

Food waste is a serious issue....The extra produce costs school districts $5.4 million a day, but nearly $3.8 million of that is tossed in the trash, according to national estimates based on a 2013 study of 15 Utah schools by researchers with Cornell University and Brigham Young University.

How would you feel to see your friends wasting lunch everyday, and you can’t even help to make the land field better? What’s the point of making healthy lunches when there are thousands of students wasting lunch. Hence, lunch is important meal of the day, and it is eaten at school. It boost your energy throughout the day. But, it is probably one of the biggest problems at our school. We are advised to eat healthy, but we can’t always do that with the choices that are provided at our school.

As a matter of fact, food waste in some school cafeterias has increased 35% since the passage of the USDA mandate requiring students to take a fruit or vegetable, according to new study. Also, the education sector produces 13% of all non-domestic food waste in England, throwing out some 123,000 tons a year, the bulk of the waste is going straight to landfill. This means that the students are not getting enough nutrition or energy for school, also it is increasing pollution even more everyday. This matters because if students don’t have enough energy than they wouldn’t be able to stay focused in class. For example, one of my friend name Sophia who was in my classes in 7th grade used to not eat lunch, because she thought it didn't taste well, and that’s why she used to fall asleep in class or have headaches, which made her get in trouble in class for the whole year.

Furthermore, “First Lady” Michelle Obama wasn’t erroneous in changing the cafeteria menu because the United States has high rates of childhood obesity. She changed the menus to grains and low sodium, but what value is it bringing, if students are getting the food, but throwing it away as they exit the cafeteria? However, Michelle Obama’s project was to help the kids in America change the course of history in the number of obese students. The changes she created are very drastic. The changes Mrs. Obama put into effect with the Healthy Hunger Free Kids Act in 2010 has led students to complain and react in rebellious manner by throwing out today’s lunches.

Moreover, reducing waste is not only virtuous for the environment, but it also saves money. According to waste management experts Wrap, food waste costs and colleges around 250 million a year. Eliminating avoidable waste would cut 22% off an average school meal. Therefore, schools could be tempted to ponder to pupil’s tastes to reduce waste, even if that meant providing less healthy food, but Leake’s experience is that using quality produce, and cooking fresh meals makes healthy choices more appealing.

In conclusion, healthy school lunches mean students are getting the nourishment they need to power their minds and bodies to learn. And the choices we are provided with in school is not going to make any better. For that reason, and as a 8th grade student I would like to suggest you some ideas. On that account, my first proposal is to bring chefs to schools, and let the chefs teach the custodians to make healthy, but food that are appealing to students. Also, do a survey on what foods the students would like to be provided with at school. This ideas might not be the only things that can be done to make school lunches better, but now I am depending on you to read this letter, and make school lunches preferable. After all, students spend 180 days a year in school, and are expected to perform at high rate of success. Proper nutrition can immensely impact productivity.

Sumaiya

Creekland Middle School

Ms. Boyle's Class

Ms. Boyle's Class