christopher California

Immigration Reform

I think that the president should make the use of animals for scientific or commercial testing illegal!.

6411 Orchard Ave.

Bell, CA, 90210

September 16th, 2016

The President

The White House

1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW

Washington, DC 20500

Dear Mr/Ms. President:

Thank you for the opportunity to write you! I am writing this letter because I have some concerns regarding. In my ELD class we were asked to choose something that we would like changed in our country and that you as president would be able to change. I think that the president should make the use of animals for scientific or commercial testing illegal!.

One reason this change is important animal testing is brutal and heartless.and the Humane Society International, animals in experiments are are being abused in the following ways: force feeding, forced inhalation, food and water deprivation, prolonged periods of physical restraint, the infliction of burns and other wounds to study the healing process, the infliction of pain to study its effects and remedies, and "killing by carbon dioxide asphyxiation, neck-breaking, decapitation, or other means.

Another reason this change is important is that there are many other ways to test now that can take the place of testing on animals.Alternative testing methods include studying cell cultures in a petri dish. This can produce more relevant results than animal testing because human cells can be used. Another alternative is using virtual reconstruction of molecular structures. These tests predict the toxicity of substances without invasive experiments on animals.

The last reason that this change is important is The Animal Welfare Act is not protecting 95% of the animals being abused in these experiments.Mice, rats, fish and birds are not included in the AWA and they make up 95% of the animals used in research. For example, in 2010, AWA protected 1,134,693 animals which still leaves 25 million unprotected.

Thank you for taking the time to read my letter and I hope you can make this important change for America!

Most respectfully,