Hayden A. New Jersey

Allow Citizenship to Undocumented Immigrants

This article addresses how immigration needs to be fixed. However, I feel that Undocumented Immigrants should have a path to citizenship.

Dear President of the US,

President Barack Obama famously once said, ”My fellow Americans, we are and always will be a nation of immigrants. We were strangers once, too. And whether our forebears were strangers who crossed the Atlantic, or the Pacific, or the Rio Grande, we are here only because this country welcomed them in.” There is an estimated 11 million undocumented citizens living in the US and we need to do something about it. However, I feel that we should deport them but, ones with proper citizenship papers from his or her should be able to apply for citizenship. But, if you don't then we should deport them out of the country. 

A reason is it could create a new opportunity and lift people out of shadows. What I mean by that is that the reason many undocumented immigrants are coming to this country is to get out of poverty and you don’t want them to feel like they can’t become a citizen. Right now the current path to citizenship is...

1. Obtain a Green Card

2. Maintain a Physical Presence

3. Complete the USCIS Form N-400

4. Be Finger Printed

5.  Pass the interview

6. Attend the Oath Ceremony

I feel that it should be the same process but add a little more to it.

Another reason is it could lead to great innovation. Such as new technology and new inventions. Very many people say that everyone has a brain but, few choose to use it. We may think that these immigrants and a lot of other people don’t have a brain. But, very many of those immigrants are smart because how else would they be able to come across the border.

My last reason is an estimated 11 million undocumented immigrants are currently residing in the United States and they do everything we do. Pay taxes and all that other stuff. We don’t seem to notice but, they do. They may not have jobs but, they find a way to support their families and there is nothing wrong with that. It is insulting that we can’t accept that fact.

Many people may argue that they are taking are jobs and messing up our economy. But, are they really. I have a feeling they would all like an opportunity to raise their children in country such as ours. Plus, the people who argue most likely have businesses that hire these immigrants.

To conclude the continuation of the problem could to lead more immigration then we could handle however, I still believe that this problem can be fixed by just fixing up the immigration process. By just having a proper citizenship to their country. But, if this problem continues we could be well over populated with 20 million undocumented citizens if this keeps up.

Hayden A.

Brielle Elementary

Eighth Grade Citizens

The students in the eighth grade who wished to post their letters are featured here. Students worked for several weeks in both Social Studies and Language Arts classes, crafting their arguments. They participated in Penpal Schools Decision 2016 as well as Media Literacy Week.