Kathryn H. Washington

Gender Inequality

America needs to achieve gender equality to truly be a free and equal country.

Gender inequality has been a prevalent issue around the globe for centuries and centuries, and although we have come so far from where we once were, we still have a long way to go. As a nation, we have made so much progress in gender equality from legalizing women's right to vote, to equal opportunity for education, and everyday we get closer to equality among genders.

Women make up half of the workforce in America, but only make about 80 cents to every man's dollar. That’s a 20% wage gap for women who are doing the same jobs as men. Women have also caught up with men in education achievement, and in the United States, as with other countries, women have surpassed men. Additionally, considering 80% of single parents are women, doesn’t a wage gap seem a bit ridiculous? How can we continue to encourage women and girls when America still can’t quite prove that men and women are equal?

In a country that has been founded upon individual human rights, why are we still facing gender inequality issues? Why is it that women still aren’t get the same recognition as men? When will we reach total equity among genders? I really do hope, on behalf of all women including myself, that we will start to take larger steps to solve some or all of these questions during your term as President.

Sincerely, Kathryn H.

The Community School

Voices of TCS

Students, let your voices be heard by the next President of the United States!