Carley Pennsylvania

Depression

Mental health needs to be spoken about in this country.

Dear President of the United States,

With everything going in this chaotic world, we sometimes forget one of the bigger issues, depression. Although it may not seem like such an important issue to those who don't suffer from it, it truly is. Millions of people around the globe are stuck in this deep hole of sadness, that some can't climb out of, whether that be from bullying, abuse, debt, family issues, or any other reason one might be depressed. Everyone in the world is equal, everyone should get to live a happy and long life, but sadly that's not the case for some people, particularly those who suffer from depression.

Four years ago, when I moved to a new town, I saw it as a great opportunity to become someone new and meet new people. However, my older sister did not see it that way. Leaving everything behind, her friends, her hometown, her school, everything, led her into a depressing state of mind. In high school, people already have their “cliques” and nobody wanted my sister to join theirs. She didn't have the best relationship with my parents, and on top of all of that, her teachers loaded her with school work which kept her up until early hours of the morning, studying for tests that determine her future. I watched her cry; I watched her suffer. Something needed to change. My parents thought she was overreacting, but eventually she started seeing a counselor, and she slowly started to get better, but, of course, that didn't come free, it was a lot of money, that some people can't afford.

Depression is a very serious topic. According to dosomething.org , about 20 million people suffer from depression every year. That’s a lot of people who struggle in search for happiness, something needs to change. There are many places around the globe where you can go to get help, but most of these places come with a price. Not everyone can afford this help, and that’s not fair. Depression can lead to self harm and suicidal thoughts, which is absolutely horrible. According to the website afsp.org, there is an average of about 117 suicides per day. Just think about that, there are about 117 people everyday who are in such a horrible depressing state of mind, that they decide to take their own lives. You, the President of the United States of America, can't let this go on much longer.

The causes of depression are endless, and they vary from all different topics. According to the newsELA article, “Mental Stress Hitting More and More Students,” many school students suffer from stress and depression. With all the pressure in school, from studying, homework, and tests, it can be very hard for students to maintain a happy life. Another cause of depression is bullying. People, especially kids are bullied everyday. Bullies are making these people feel like they're not good enough, and they're not worth living. These people getting bullied usually don't stand up for themselves, leaving them feeling like a worthless human beings and leaving them depressed. Other causes of depression can vary from abuse or drug addiction.

You need to step up your game and make the world a happier place. Make school less stressful, drugs less accessible, and the most important, make help more affordable. There are too many people in this world who suffer from depression, too many people who feel like they're not good enough for this world, too many people who we could lose in the blink of an eye. Even talking about the topic to the world would be wonderful, to let people like my sister know that they're not alone in the battle of depression. So please, Mr. or Mrs. President, make the world a healthier and happier place.

Carley O.