Elizabeth S. Pennsylvania

Animal Testing

Animal testing is a growing problem in the United States. It should be stopped to spare animals pain and suffering.

Animal cruelty in America is a very important, but overlooked, topic of discussion among the government. Millions of animals ranging from mice and rats to dogs and monkeys die each year from testing products to improve humans lives (procon.com). Humans do need these advances on medicines and other products to stay healthy. However, there must be a more efficient and less harmful way to test these products.

Approximately 50,000 cats, 61,000 monkeys and chimpanzees, 180,000 dogs, 554,000 rabbits, 178,000 wild animals, and millions of rats and mice die each year from lab testing of medicines and other products (“Animal Welfare” p.30.) These numbers only represent the number of animals that die. There are many more that are suffering and in pain by these tests. It is estimated that about 26 million animals are used for animal testing each year. (“Animal Welfare” p. 30). According to Procon.com, “95% of animals used in experiments are not protected by the Animal Welfare Act.” However, it does protect most domestic animals such as dogs and cats. The Animal Welfare Act does not protect rats, mice, fish, and birds. This makes up about 95% of animals that are tested on. According to a 2009 peer-reviewed study, 87% of animal testing failed. These numbers are unbearably high. This is an unfortunate number of animals dying each year because of tests that most of the time do not succeed.

The animals forced to be tested on are suffering because of humans. It is true that we are testing these animals for the benefit of humans. However, animals can be harmed and hurt even if it is not thought about. Also, there is no way to tell if these treatments will work even though the genetic makeup of some animals is similar to our own. (procon.com) Only some animals such as chimpanzees are close enough to have a very accurate test. Even if we found a cure that we thought could work because it was tested on animals, it is likely not to work on humans.(procon.com) This default in the testing could lead to problems with the humans using the product. It is understood that animal testing has “enabled the development of many lifesaving treatments for both humans and animals” (procon.com). However, these lifesaving treatments could have resulted in many more animal deaths than humans’ lives saved.

Testing medicines and other products on animals is very harmful and hurtful to these livings organisms. Animals are held against their will, being hurt, and even dying because of animal testing. Suffering is undesirable for any animal, and it is not fair to pit animals through that. They do not have any language or way to fight against this cruel act. This has left the situation up to humans to come up with a solution. This is why I am urging you to work to stop animal testing across the country.

Elizabeth S.

Lower Dauphin High School

Mrs. Morgret's 9th grade Honors English students

Periods 4 and 5/6 from Lower Dauphin High School