Jordan Michigan

Islamophobia

Stop the stereotyping of Muslims!

To the President of the United States,

First of all, let me congratulate you on your victory. I hope that you will do all you can to make this great country of ours even better. There is one issue that I would like to bring to your attention, and I think that it’s a very pressing issue that is facing our nation. This is the fact that so many Americans are scared of Muslims because, of the 1.6 billion of them, 0.006625% of them are terrorists. There is no reason for everyone to be scared of every single Muslim they see.

When I say the word terrorist, what do you think of? Well, for most Americans they think of a Muslim or someone from a middle Eastern country. I mean it makes sense; that’s what the media shows us. They only show us the bad things that 0.006625% of the Muslims do, not the good things that the other 99.993375% of them do. Because of the media's portrayal of Muslims as terrorists, most Americans assume all Muslims are terrorists. A terrorist, however, is actually anyone who uses violence as a way to inflict terror on people for political gain. That can be anybody, not just Muslims. In fact, Muslims only carry out 5% of the terrorist attacks on the United States, and since 9/11 only 33 Americans out of the 300 that have died in terrorist attacks have been killed by Muslims. When you really look at the facts, most Muslims aren’t bad people. Like I said, less than 1% of them are actual terrorists. Most of them are actually good, hard working citizens of the United States. I think that people need to stop being scared of Muslims. Yeah, some of them are bad, but doesn’t every cultural group have bad people? I think we need to stop focusing on all of the bad that Muslims have done and start focusing on all of the good they do for our country like paying taxes, serving in our military, serving on our police force, and following our laws. As of right now, there are about 3.3 million Muslims living in the United States, and I think if we stop all of the hatred towards them we can increase that number.

I really think that you need to consider the points that I have made to you. I really think that we as Americans need to stop being scared of Muslims and start accepting them as part of our country. Congratulations again on winning the presidency, and thank you for taking the time to read my letter. I hope you have a good four years and that you do our country proud.

Jordan