Nate Michigan

Gun Control?

My name is Nathan Welsh and 15 years old also, I’m from Grand Rapids Michigan. I am not for gun control but against it, although not as much as to saying there should be no gun laws.

My name is Nathan Welsh and 15 years old also, I’m from Grand Rapids Michigan. I am not for gun control but against it, although not as much as to saying there should be no gun laws. It has come to my attention that gun control is a problem but not as big as everyone else thinks it is and we need to fix it however it should not be our number one priority because there is obviously something much worse that we have to deal with. Gun control is an issue that is getting a lot of people’s attention and concern which is not what we need. Gun control seems small right now and that’s good because it’s always easier to deal with it when it’s small rather than waiting until it’s affecting pretty much the entire country.

Our country currently has 89 guns per 100 people, but with that statistic shown we also have a gun death of 10.54 per 100,000 people which is only 0.0001054% in 2014. That number seems very low but with the news broadcasting it every which way it seems a lot bigger than looking at that small number. Even though that number is small, that is still there and who knows if it has increased over the past 2 years. When these shootings occur people seem to think that guns are the problem, not the person pulling the trigger. The problem started when people started shooting up towns and the people wondered why he had that gun in the first place to be able to shoot the place up.

This issue keeps popping up over and over again and it can be fixed to a certain extent. The people who usually start the issue is mostly people who’ve lost all hope in society and just takes out all their emotions on others while others use it in protest using innocent people as an example. What we can do is not take guns away but to give people hope in any way possible without violence if we can. Even if we give people hope again and we stop many of these recurring shootings there will still be there for the people with the deepest emotions. The peacekeepers said they have about 6 minutes to get to any situation max but how many people would die in just that short time due to a maniac. I do say we need guns but certainly nothing automatic. The people need something to defend themselves with but we do not need them handling any automatic weapon that could do more harm than good in these situations.

Think of it this way, the more bullets in the air the more damage inflicted on the battlefield and we don’t want anymore damage that what needs to happen. The more damage caused the more hope is lost in the people who love this country so dear. In conclusion we need to inspire and not be too harsh on gun laws. Please research some more than just this letter there is more than we all know.

A concerned student

Sites:

https://ww2.kqed.org/lowdown/tag/gun-control/

https://ww2.kqed.org/lowdown/2016/01/07/map-which-states-have-the-highest-gun-death-rates/

https://ww2.kqed.org/lowdown/2012/12/19/the-geography-of-u-s-gun-homicides/ 

Northview High School

3rd Hour

Mrs. Pitt's 3rd hour 9th grade English students.