Wyatt M. Michigan

Letter to the President

Concussions

Think back to when you were in high school. You most likely played a sport like hockey, football or basketball. Did you worry about getting a concussion and it completely changing your life? Probably not, concussions have become a major issue throughout sports. Many people are coming up with solutions to preventing concussions. Getting a concussion, in worse case scenarios, can lead to completely changing your personality or even death. Because of the negative effects of concussions we need to educate society about how dangerous concussions can be for athletes.

There are a few causes to getting a concussion. Most come from playing some kind of sport, such as football or hockey. You get a concussion from a bump, blow, or jolt to the head or by a hit to the body causing the brain to move rapidly (CDC.gov). Your brain is very fragile and causing it to move back and forth quickly can cause lots of damage to you. Getting tackled or checked can cause your brain to move rapidly and has a chance of causing damage to you.

There are a few solutions to this problem though. Concussions can be very dangerous so we have to try to make sure they don't happen or at least less common. Some of these solutions include rules. You have to enforce rules such as not being allowed strike another athlete in the head (CDC.gov). The safest and most effective way to prevent concussions is to follow the rules of any given sport. This means we need to inform players and parents about the true dangers of playing any sport.

Another way to educate society is by having commercials or ads about the problem (such as the ‘You Got Milk? Ad and commercials). This is very important because athletes need to understand concussions can change their lives forever. Talk with the athletes about the importance of a concussion (CDC.gov). They may not listen to their parents of coaches but if a famous athletes says something they most likely will. This would have to be in the form of an ad or commercial.

That is why educating society about concussions is so important. We need to educate them through commercials, ads, and teaching them the rules. A concussion can be as little as a headache or as major as death or completely changing your personality. This is why we need to take them so seriously. This is why we need to start trying our hardest to save athletes from getting concussions and ruining their lives.

5th Hour

ELA 10