Abby R. Minnesota

Women's Rights

This issue focuses on equality between men and women. Women’s rights and women’s equality is where women don’t get treated the same as men in many ways.

This issue focuses on equality between men and women. Women’s rights and women’s equality is where women don’t get treated the same as men in many ways. The pay gap, forced marriage, violence against women, sexual violence and many more. Women all across the country are sexually victimized, “In a 2012 study 92% of women reported experiencing some form of sexual violence in public spaces in their lifetime. 88% reported experiencing some form of verbal sexual harassment.”- (UN Women, 2013). Also women all over are forced into underage marriage, “Over 700 million women alive today were married when they were under 18, and of those some 250 million were married before they were 15.” (UNICEF, 2014). There have been many incidents where there have been violence against women, “Violence against women and girls is a global issue with 1 in 3 women across the world experiencing violence.”- (Facts about women’s rights,1). The main location focus of this letter is the United States, but it is happening all over the world. I believe that Women’s Rights should be a main focus of your future presidency because women are very powerful and can sometimes be very underestimated and held back.

I support women’s rights, so therefore I agree that things should change. Women and men have been working together in the same fields of work for a long time and there is still a pay gap between men and women that have the same job. “In 2015 the pay gap was smallest in New York, where women working full time year-round were paid 89 percent of what men were paid. The largest gap was in Wyoming, where women were paid 64 percent of what men were paid.”- (The simple truth about the gender pay gap). This matters because it isn’t fair that men and women are doing the same thing in the same job but they aren't getting paid the same. Who knows, maybe women are doing it better. Also, so many women get sexually harassed all over the world every single day. “In a 2012 study 92% of women reported experiencing some form of sexual violence in public spaces in their lifetime. 88% reported experiencing some form of verbal sexual harassment.”- (UN Women, 2013). This matters because more women have violence against them than men and this should not be happening, people don’t have reason for this whatsoever. In conclusion, women don’t have as many rights and women are treated very unfairly and I don’t think people are paying enough attention to this. It is completely being ignored and someone needs to address and enforce women’s rights.

On the other hand men seem to choose higher paying jobs, making it a women’s fault. The pay gap isn’t because women are just simply getting paid less than men, it is about what job titles they are choosing. Men seem to choose higher paying jobs than women, and that is not the men's fault. “In 2009, only 7 percent of female professionals were employed in the relatively high paying computer and engineering fields, compared with 38 percent of male professionals.” (Darcy, 2). This matters because people shouldn’t be wrongly blaming men for the pay gap, when in fact it is actually women’s choices that are affecting this gap. In conclusion, men should not always be blamed when in fact both genders are in control.

Something that could really help with enforcing women’s rights is making a stricter law that makes sure women and men are getting the paid the same amount when they are working in the same field. The global goal that closely relates to women’s rights is goal 5, gender equality. This would help the UN’s initiative because it would open people’s eyes all around the world, showing them how unfairly women are treated. Women’s rights should be a priority because there are so many things that are stopping women and holding them back. We just all need a bigger push to realize this. 

Chaska Middle School East

Mrs. Johnson's 8th Grade Global Studies

Global Studies class letters connecting national issues to the UN's Global Goals.