Carly G. Minnesota

No More Poverty

There should be no poverty. Everyone should have the bare minimums such as food, water, and shelter.

Poverty is when people are making below average money or no money at all. They can sometimes not even support themselves with simple things such as shelter, food, and clothing. This is an issue because without money or proper living essentials there's a good chance you won’t have a very nice life. African children should be the number one priority; 90 percent of their population is in poverty and 80 percent of children are dying because they don’t have enough money to get help from doctors. I believe that poverty should be the priority of our future president because millions of people are in poverty and the number is significantly increasing.

I believe that poverty should be fixed so no one goes without minimum essentials. No kids should ever not be able to go to the doctor when they are ill. For example “Infectious diseases continue to blight the lives of the poor across the world. An estimated 40 million people are living with HIV/AIDS, with 3 million deaths in 2004. Every year there are 350–500 million cases of malaria, with 1 million fatalities: Africa accounts for 90 percent of malarial deaths and African children account for over 80 percent of malaria victims worldwide." (Shah Pg.2). This matters because kids are dying constantly because they do not have enough money to get a doctor's help and treat their sickness.

Also everyone should have a shelter whether or not they can pay for it. “Trying to find work and being homeless, the biggest problem is that you don’t have anywhere to go home and rest, All the other stresses of not having any money, not having anything good happen to you in the last four or five days, these things weigh very heavily when you’re looking for work.” (PETROHILOS, pg.3). This matters because there was a man who was trying to get a job trying to get money but it was so hard for him be in poverty while doing this. So if he would have a had stable home to crash at he would have a better chance of being able to get a job. If someone would have helped him with a shelter he could have picked his life up again. As you can see when people are poverty it has major effects on their lifestyles.

However, some people believe poverty is a personal problem and not a governmental problem. Some People don’t believe that people in poverty should get government support. “Governments solve large problems by general means, but the problem of poverty is individual - the government doesn’t have the ability to solve the problem at the personal case by case level that leads people out of poverty “ (Trinton pg.1). This matters because when people go into poverty, they want the government's help. But there's not much the government can actually do for you. You have to figure out what you are going to do to make this better. In conclusion, poverty is an individual thing and the government is not a big help.

The solution is to spread awareness of the people who are in deep poverty.This is mostly connected to Global Goal 1 because this goal is all about people in poverty. By getting rid of poverty people will be able to afford to have checkups with the doctors and a great education. By 2030 poverty should be gone and no one should have to struggle to get food. This is a priority for the president because there are so many children who are in poverty and need help to survive sickness or get proper education.

Bureau, US Census. "Poverty." US Census Bureau. N.p., n.d. Web. 02 Nov. 2016.

Debatewise. "Financial Assistance for the Poor Should Be the Responsibility of Charities, Not Government. - DebateWise." DebateWise. N.p., n.d. Web. 02 Nov. 2016.

"Hunger and World Poverty." Poverty.com -. N.p., n.d. Web. 02 Nov. 2016.

"Poverty - Google Search." Poverty - Google Search. N.p., n.d. Web. 02 Nov. 2016.

Chaska Middle School East

Mrs. Johnson's 8th Grade Global Studies

Global Studies class letters connecting national issues to the UN's Global Goals.