Leticia L. Texas

Drug Abuse

Drug abuse is really dangerous and happens every day. We can change the life of millions of teenagers finding a way to help them stop doing drugs.

Dear future President of the United States.

Imagine a world without drugs,a world where people didn’t need to take drugs to feel happy and have their lives controlled by a pill. Drug abuse is the habitual taking of addictive or illegal drugs, basically killing yourself over an extended period of time. People take drugs to change the way they feel, think, or behave. Your policies can cause health problems, you’ll need to pay a lot of money for Rehab and you can also end up dead.

Taking drugs can cause serious health problems, “ Different drugs, because of their chemical structures, can affect the body in different ways. In fact, some drugs can even change a person's body and brain in ways that last long after the person has stopped taking drugs, maybe even permanently.” ( Effects of drug abuse and addiction). Drugs can give you blood infections, heart diseases, Cardiovascular disease, stroke, cancer, HIV/AIDS, hepatitis, lung disease and other diseases. All drugs can cause health problems, but each drug is different.

When you get addicted to drugs it’s really hard to stop, go to rehab is a way to solve the problem, but you need to pay almost $25000.00 per year. Most people don’t have all this money to pay rehab and are wasting all their savings on drugs. “A range of care with a tailored treatment program and follow-up options can be crucial to success. Treatment should include both medical and mental health services as needed.” (Drug Facts). The complete treatment for drug addiction has several steps; detoxification, behavioral counseling, medication, treatment for mental health issues such as depression and anxiety, and prevention of relapse.

A drug overdose can cause serious brain damage, coma or even death. Most of the time, the symptoms after you take the drugs are; confusion, difficulty breathing, cold skin, loss of consciousness, reduced vision, vomiting… “In the United States, prescription opiates are the cause for more deaths by overdose than any other single drug. Most of these deaths ultimately result from respiratory failure” (How drugs can kill). In the U.S. drug overdose kills more than guns, cars and falling.

When you start taking drugs you feel happy, like if everything is perfect, but you are only hurting yourself and bringing more problems into your life. After start to take drugs you always try to find excuses for doing it and tell yourself things like “next year I’ll stop.” But the problem is, you can’t stop, and every day it gets hard. “Drugs can, and most likely will, ruin the life of anyone who uses them for any extended period of time.” ( Narconon International)

Works I cited:

Commission., By The Joint. "Effects of Drug Abuse and Addiction." Drug Rehab & Alcohol Treatment Centers in Illinois. N.p., n.d. Web. 04 Nov. 2016

"Treatment Approaches for Drug Addiction." DrugFacts:. N.p., n.d. Web. 04 Nov. 2016

"How Drugs Can Kill." How Drugs Can Kill. N.p., n.d. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.