Deekshita S. Texas

Legalizing Marijuana

Dear Mr./Madam President, Legalize Marijuana. This issue has been going on for over a century, and you must take action immediately. Change the law and make marijuana legal. Marijuana should be legal, because it has a lot of medicinal values. It can help discover many new types of medicine in the field of neurology. Marijuana contains an active ingredient known as tetrahydrocannabinol (also known as THC), which helps control epileptic seizures. THC binds to brain cells that are responsible for controlling excitability, and regulates relaxation. Marijuana can also be used to treat the eye disease glaucoma, which increases pressure in the eyeball, damaging the optic nerve and causing loss of vision. Studies have proven that marijuana slows progression of the disease, therefore preventing blindness. Marijuana also helps tobacco users with a bad lung function. If smoked, the deep breaths from inhaling the drug can increase lung capacity. Marijuana can also bring a lot of improvement to the economy. A fully legalized market could be as large as $46B per year. The government of Colorado and Washington could bring in some needed revenue from taxing the drug. If legalized, this can raise hundreds of millions of dollars of revenue for each state. This money can help pay off debts, and be used to make the environment a better place. Our country Finally, Marijuana should be legalized, because it can cure a lot of diseases, and be used to make new medicine; it can also bring a lot of money for our country. I am expecting you to make the right choice and legalize marijuana, as it would bring a lot of benefits to the United States. Works Cited Loria, Jennifer Welsh and Kevin. "23 Health Benefits Of Marijuana." Business Insider. Business Insider, Inc, 20 Apr. 2014. Web. 04 Nov. 2016. Jacques, Renee. "This Is Why Marijuana Should Be Legal Everywhere." The Huffington Post. TheHuffingtonPost.com, n.d. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.