Abby T. Texas

Police Issues

Some problems involving the police.

Dear future president of the United States,

Imagine a world where people weren’t racially discriminated. Imagine a place where police brutality wasn’t a common occurrence in news. Imagine a world where you don't hear about police abusing their power. The world needs to evolve into a place with no racial discrimination,police brutality, and police officers not being charged for the crimes they commit.

At this era in time we’ve been hearing a lot about racial discrimination. We’ve mostly heard a lot about Black Life Matter. “76 men and women who were killed in police custody since the 1999 death of Amadou Diallo in New York. Starting with the most recent deaths.” 76 men and women of different races have died in police custody in between the year 1999-2014. In my opinion there’s a lot more but wow 76 people that have died do to police statio typing them because of the color of their skin that they’re bad people. For example “Farrow was out walking with his 14-year-old cousin when gunned down by a police officer, Erik Sammis. Sammis claims that only after he shot Farrow did he realize that the gun Farrow was carrying a toy.” Farrow was a 12 year old african american boy who was shot dead by a police officer for what? A toy. Police officers need to stop jumping to conclusion and assess the situation towards people before deciding to take their lives.

Police brutality is a large problems in many different ways. Everyone knows that there’s good cops and bad cops.

“A Minneapolis Police Department internal investigation concluded Friday that two officers involved in the November 2015 fatal shooting of Jamar Clark did not violate department policies and will not face discipline.” Jamar Clark was a 24 year old african american who was shot and killed by 2 police officer.(Mark Ringgenberg and Dustin Schwarze) Both of these officer say it was self defence.”Several witnesses said Clark was restrained when a bullet struck him in the head.” According to report Clark was in handcuffs when he was shot in the head. I understand that their are many sides to the story from the police officers,witnesses, and Jamar Clarks side which don't know since he unfortunately killed. We need to put an end to police brutality and make sure that police are using the right amount of force when needed. We also need to find a way to make sure no officers are lying about crimes they've committed.

Police officers are supposed to protect us.

Even when they're protecting us that doesn't mean they should have special rights to not be charged with crimes they commit. "The overall emotion the day that they dismissed all of the charges was an enormous relief. We'd spent a year and a half invested in this case, scouring through each document, each interview, investigating this, doing our own investigation, putting blood, sweat and tears into defending this case," This statement comes from an attorney that was representing some of the the cops on the Freddie Grey case. 3/6 of the cops that were involved in the death of Freddie Grey were prosecuted.The 3 others weren't tried in court which was a disappointment. All of these cops had equal roles in what happened to Grey. It is without a doubt that all of them should have been charged with the crime of murder. We need to treat everyone equal even if there the police they should be charged with the crimes they committed.

We need to change the world for the better. Right now from where i'm standing no one really trust police officers anymore. We need to change that and fast.

Work Cites

McLaughlin, Elliott C. "Minneapolis Police Clear Officers in Fatal Shooting of Jamar Clark." CNN. Cable News Network, 21 Oct. 2016. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.

Chan, Rich Juzwiak and Aleksander. "Unarmed People of Color Killed by Police, 1999-2014." Gawker. Gawker, 8 Dec. 2014. Web. 05 Nov. 2016.

Casarez, Jean “Lawyer of Cops Accused in Freddie Gray Death Speak Out” CNN. Cable News Network, 13 Apr. 2014. Web. 5 Nov. 2016