Mackenzi V. Michigan

Kneeling Crisis!

In this letter, it explains why it's bad to kneel or put your fist up during the national anthem.

Colin Kaepernick once said “I am not going to stand up and show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color." We have a problem. People such as NFL players or professional singers are kneeling or putting there fist up while the National Anthem plays. Kaepernick is saying it’s racist to stand but it’s not.

The problem all started when Kaepernick knelt for the first time at one of his football games because white police officers were shooting unarmed black people. Kaepernick started kneeling because he said “black lives really do matter”. Then other people joined in his protest by kneeling as well. People need to take a stand against Kaepernick so that other people don’t follow his lead and disrespect our national anthem.

Putting your hand over your heart has been something that America has done in the past and now. The reason for standing or putting your hand over your heart is to show respect to our country. If you live in America then you would want to show that you're thankful for being free and that’s why we put our hand over our hearts and stand. Kaepernick is just not showing thankfulness or respect to our flag during the national anthem.

You can help me with this problem. Kneeling or standing during the anthem is not racist unless the people doing it make it racist. It’s disrespectful towards the USA. Please help to make a statement to show people it is wrong to stand during the National Anthem. If you make a statement, then people will stop and listen to you.

Sincerely, Mackenzi V

8th grade

Evart Middle School

Evart, MI