Nicholas R. Michigan

Should We Enforce More Gun Control Laws?

Reasons that we should not get rid of our guns, and how it can't help us if we do.

Some people believe that we should enforce more gun control laws. Other people who own guns say that we should not because that would leave people unprotected. I do not believe we should be getting rid of guns or limiting them because that goes against the 2nd amendment. People believe that this would be against our constitutional rights that states American citizens should be able to own firearms in order to form an untrained militia to protect the country.

I believe that we could limit some types of guns, and do better about who we let have guns. I don’t think that citizens need to own high grade military weapons. But I do not think that we should get rid of guns or limit how many guns people have, because this does go against our constitutional rights as Americans.

The people who do want the gun control say that the 2nd Amendment was written when the only guns you had were muskets that took a half minute to reload. They say it was also written because we were a new country where people would have to protect themselves, and that the Founding Fathers were not considering technological advancements. However, I know the Founding Fathers were thinking about technology advancements. They even say the constitution should be able to be changed because of advancements in the future. And the 2nd Amendment is not too old; we still need to be able to protect ourselves until law enforcement is able to arrive.

“Criminals, by definition, don’t follow the law.” Multiple people have stated that gun control would be almost pointless because a criminal will get a gun or weapon no matter what the law says.They are criminals, they don’t follow the law. When planning a crime, when in history has the criminal taken the law into consideration before doing the crime. Law abiding citizens do follow the law, and do consider it. Taking away our guns is unfair to law abiding citizens.

Why should people have to have their guns taken away from them, leaving them unprotected just because we didn’t do a good enough job about who we gave the guns to in the first place? This will leave people unprotected, and you can’t always count on the police getting there in time to save people.

In conclusion, I believe that we should not increase gun control because this will leave countless people unprotected. Just because we increase restrictions on guns, criminals don’t exactly follow the law, making little or no difference. If you look at Chicago, which has some the strictest gun laws, it also has the highest number of gun related deaths in the United States. So please Next President, do not take away our guns, because this will leave families unprotected.

Nicholas R.

Evart Middle School

Evart MI

Evart Middle School

5th Block

8th Grade Language Arts