Joshua

Request to Raise the Minimum Wage

This is a letter to the future president of The United States of America and I would like to request for the minimum wage to be increased.

Dear Mr. or Mrs. President of The United States of America,

My name is Joshua, and I’m in eighth grade.  I go to a Catholic School in Ohio. I would like you to consider raising the minimum wage. There are many reasons that the minimum wage should be increased. For example, raising the minimum wage to fifteen dollars would increase the amount of citizens working. It would encourage people to go out and get a job. It also would decrease the amount of poverty and even the amount of people on welfare. Many people would be able to get a job and get back on their feet. Many people have been arguing for an increase in the minimum wage. The majority of people are poor and would need that extra money to just survive. According to HuffingtonPost.com, 45 million people are living in poverty in the United States. The people living in poverty are the people who make the economy go around. They are the people who spend their money and starts the cycle around. Also, there are just regular people who also do. Also, according to to the HuffingtonPost.com, Sixty-six percent of Americans support a $10.10 federal minimum wage. A quote from the White House.com states,”At the federal level, the Obama Administration has expressed support for the Raise the Wage Act proposed by Senator Murray and Representative Scott, which would increase the minimum wage to $12 by 2020”. Even President Obama believes that the minimum wage should be raised. There are many people in this country who would really need the minimum wage increased.

I’m interested in this issue because my mother works, and she only gets the minimum wage.  It would really help us pay for all of our bills. Imagine living in a family that lives paycheck to paycheck struggling to pay bills. If the minimum wage was increased, that family could gradually grow more wealthy. It would be great if you could make a speech about the minimum wage to make more people consider raising it. In conclusion I would greatly appreciate if you would consider raising the minimum wage and help the United States of America.

Joshua