Shivani

Animal Testing

Why do we have animal testing if it harms animals?

My name is Shivani, I am a 8th grader. There are many amazing cosmetic products. How are they so good? They are amazing because the company tested it on animals to see how they would react to the product. When you do cosmetic animal testing they have give the animal The Draize eye test. I believe that animal testing should be illegal. It should be illegal because it kills many animals. In the U.S lab 219 animals die per minute. I also believe that the companies take advantage.

The Draize eye test is a test that animals take when they want to test irritation. How they do the test is that they clip open their eyelids. Sometimes they clip their eyes for one day and sometimes they do it for many days. It is a liquid that goes in the animal's eye to see if it irritate them. Sometimes the aftermath is redness,swelling, hemorrhaging,blindness and etc. After the experiment they kill the animal. They also give this chemical LD50 (lethal dose 50) which kills 50% of the animals during the experiment. In 2010 the USDA (The US Department of Agriculture) reported that 97,123 animals suffered pain during experiments while being given no anesthesia for relief. We don’t test on murders or rapist why do we test on poor animals?

Why test on animals if it costs much money for the government? The Humane Society International compared a test with animals and test without animals. The numbers had a big difference. “A rat photo toxicity test” is a test that done on the skin that cost $11,500 and a non-animal test cost $1,300. “US National Institutes of Health (NIH) spends $14 billion of its $31 billion annual budget on animal research.” Why spend so much money and then the animal dies.

Some companies that test on animals are Cosmetics product are MAC, Maybelline , Cover Girl, Revlon, Head and Shoulder, Pantee, TRESemmé, etc. Some companies that test on animals Self-Care Products are Aquafresh, Vaseline, Aveeno, ChapStick, Dove, Clean & Clear, Johnson and Johnson.Some companies that test on animals Household Products are Clorox, Febreze, Glade, Lysol,Tide, Windex, Arm & Hammer.

Shivani 

Mrs. K's Social Studies Class

Social Studies 8-1

An 8th grade social studies class.