Kensley R. Virginia

Raising Minimum Wages

Reasons it is essential to raise minimum wages in the United States

Future President,

I am Kensley Robertson from Culpeper, Virginia. Minimum wage in Virginia is $7.25 per hour, and this is not a sufficient amount of money to survive on. Raising the minimum wage is essential for people in order for them to meet the price of living.

The living wage for one adult in Virginia is $11.93. It is impossible for citizens to meet that price without sacrificing important basic needs. Sherrod Brown, Senior United States Senator from Ohio said, “Anyone who's tried to pay a heating bill, fill a prescription, or simply buy groceries knows all too well that the current minimum wage does not cut the mustard.” Not everyone is fortunate enough to attend college or have the opportunity to achieve well paid jobs through networking, because they don’t have those certain connections some attain. A content country is not one that is in constant financial stress from their bills not being paid with the current minimum wage.

A solution to financial stress caused from low minimum wages would be raising the hourly rate significantly. Creating the new minimum wage would benefit many U.S. citizens. Thank you immensely for the time and consideration in the proposal of raising minimum wages. Americans everywhere would be very grateful if you could assist in the increase of hourly rates.

Kensley Robertson

Eastern View High School

English 11 Honors

This is the group for Ms. Licata's block 3 11 Honors class.