Jordyn S. Ohio

Abortion

Abortion is murder and should be illegal.

Dear Donald Trump:

In our country, I believe that everyone has the freedom to make a choice on what they want to do with their bodies. However, I also believe that the decisions people make will affect them in a positive or negative way. Abortion is one of the things many people are quarreling about, over whether the outcome would end up positive or negative. The people who are for abortion may state it is right because, according to the website Procon, “Roe v. Wade declared the procedure a 'fundamental right' on Jan. 22, 1973.” On the opposing side though, people may state that even though it’s a fundamental right for people to choose, it doesn’t mean it’s right. Though it may be legal now, you will soon have the power to change that.

Abortions usually happen for the same three reasons. Those reasons are: convenience, not enough money, or they are not wanting to be a single mother and/or are having problems with the husband. According to Abort73, “3/4 of people getting abortions say that having a baby would interfere with work, school or other responsibilities; about 3/4 say they cannot afford a child; and 1/2 say they do not want to be a single parent or are having problems with their husband or partner.” Also, multiple people who were destined to be mothers have died during abortions. Abort73 also states that, “From 1973-2010, 421 women have died as a result of legal abortion.” Today, the total number of abortions has decreased by 6% since the year 2000.

As a human with the right to choose, I believe abortion is the wrong choice to make. There are other ways to get rid of your child. First of all, there’s foster care. In my family, I have two twin cousins who were born not being able to conceive. As a person in their life, I knew that they were both upset when they figured this out. In adoption centers, if people want children from infancy to about one, there’s not many people of that age group in the centers. Most people usually want their children to be younger so they have more influence on how they grow up. Another thing that is argued about is whether abortion is murder or not. Most abortions are normally at weeks 7 or 8 in pregnancy, and a fetal heartbeat starts at around 5 weeks. According to Abort73’s chart of abortions in certain weeks, this would mean that at least 65.1% of abortions would be killing the child. Along with those reasons, there are many long-term side effects that are possible after abortions. After Abortion states that, “10% of women undergoing induced abortion suffer from immediate complications, of which one-fifth (2%) were considered major.” Some examples of these side effects are: lower general health, increased complications with women with multiple abortions, infection, excessive bleeding, ripping or perforation of the uterus, PID, and much more. Also, many people who have had abortions have higher rates of suicide than people who either had no pregnancy, gave birth, or miscarried combined. All of this shows that along with the possibilities of abortion being murder, it is clearly unsafe for both the child and the woman.

Mr. Trump, I hope that my arguments are clear on this subject. I wish you the best in finding a way to truly put a stop to the murder of poor and innocent children that shouldn’t be taken out of this world for an unexpected pregnancy that wasn’t their fault to begin with. A possible way to stop this matter would be to outlaw it, but doing this would definitely spark an outrage from the community. Just know that you are doing the right thing when it comes to this crime.

Jordyn C. Schultz