Alexander T. New York

Income Inequality

Please, if you are reading this letter, do something about it.

Dear President…

I have noticed that sometimes, a person’s skin color/ethnicity affects how much money they make. For instance, Asian men make more money than black men, or Hispanic men. But ethnicity is not the only thing that determines your earnings. Females make less money than men do, even if they both work equal hours and work as hard as possible. Asian men make $24 per hour, white men make $21 per hour, black men make $18 per hour, and hispanic men make $14 per hour. Asian women make $18 per hour, white women make $17 per hour, black women make $13 per hour, and hispanic women make $12 per hour.

Our country is very discriminatory against people of different skin colors and genders. Basically, the money you earn depends on a person’s gender and skin color. Because of this, a woman working the same job as a man would get paid less than the man.

Let’s say a white male and female works full time at a job. The male earns $896 a week, but the female earns about 81% of the male’s earnings which is around $725-$730. Or when a black male earns $646 per week. The black female earns 96% or the male’s earnings which is around $621. Or an asian male and female. The male earns $1019. The female earns 78% of that, around $792. And so on and so forth.

This info makes me feel that the female salary is dependent on the male salary, because of the percentages/percentage difference. However, I’m unsure.

When you earn money, what you earn also depends on your age.

This information also makes me think that I need to look more into… “age discrimination.” I also want to learn if this applies to people with different skin color and different genders.

Thanks for reading this letter.

NYC Lab Middle School

NYC Lab Middle School

Lab students have been painfully subjected to three debates where they searched for policy talk. Four and a half hours later.. Now, our students will have the chance to speak about an issue of importance and possibly make a recommendation for improvement.