Destany W. New York

Careless Abortions Should be Stopped

The killing of a human being is wrong, even if that human being is yet to be born. Fetuses feel pain during the abortion process. A 2008 peer-reviewed study published in the Scandinavian Journal of Public Health found that "young adult women who undergo... abortion may be at increased risk.”

I am writing because I have a concern about abortion. Many people do not seem to care abortion and I know people make it seem not that big of a deal, but I find abortion a big deal only because abortion is murder. The U.S. Government considers unborn babies human beings. The killing of a human being is wrong, even if that human being is yet to be born.Yes I know more and more people support abortion because they believe women should have that choice. Unborn babies are human beings with a right to life.

People say that when a woman is pregnant that there are no heart beats until 8 to 12 weeks. That’s wrong because there is heartbeat, but it’s just a small heartbeat that just can’t be heard until 8 to 12 weeks. ABORTION IS MURDER whether people believe it or not. Fetuses feel pain during the abortion process. Maureen Condic, PhD, Associate Professor of Neurobiology and Anatomy and Adjunct Associate Professor of Pediatrics at the University of Utah School of Medicine, explains that the "most primitive response to pain, the spinal reflex, is developed by eight weeks gestation”, and adds that, "there is universal agreement that pain is detected by the fetus in the first trimester.”

Every abortion should be a crime because the abortion process hurts the fetus and it is kind of like child abuse. Abortion is the killing of a human being, which defies the word of God. People are going to say that abortion is not murder, but in fact it is murder. The rate of abortion is high and it shouldn’t be high. The Bible does not draw a distinction between fetuses and babies. The Sixth Commandment of the Bible's Old Testament, "Thou shalt not kill" applies to all human beings, including unborn babies.

Additionally, abortions cause psychological damage. A 2008 peer-reviewed study published in the Scandinavian Journal of Public Health found that "young adult women who undergo... abortion may be at increased risk.” The US Supreme Court has declared abortion to be a "fundamental right" guaranteed by the US Constitution. The landmark abortion case Roe v. Wade, decided on January 22, 1973 in favor of abortion rights, remains the law of the land. Some people say that woman should have the right to have abortion.

Destany

National Conference of State Legislatures (NCSL), "Fetal Homicide Laws," ncsl.org, Feb. 2013

William Grimes, "B.N. Nathanson, 84, Dies; Changed Sides on Abortion," nytimes.com, Feb. 21, 2011

British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC), "Buddhism and Abortion," bbc.co.uk, Nov. 23, 2009

Willy Pedersen, "Abortion and Depression: A Population-based Longitudinal Study of Young Women," Scandinavian Journal of Public Health, June 2008

Troy High School

Mr. Mo's Amazing English Students

Each of my students has a voice that needs to be heard. These are the minds and hearts that will help shape our country's future. All student writing, audio, video and artwork is 100% original and supported with in-depth research. Enjoy their incredible work.