Dexter C. New York

Legalize Medical Cannabis

Marijuana is dangerous, but it can also be helpful. Medical cannabis can soothe pain, help people fall asleep, and increase appetite. Decriminalize cannabis for those who need it.

A substance known as cannabis, is becoming legal in some states such as California. People who use cannabis for medical practices use it to subdue their pain. Medicinal users use cannabis to help them deter their pain during moments of stress, or diseases. Although it has many medical purposes, using cannabis can cause drowsiness. This could cause accidents when driving, Which is why cinnercials warn, “drive high, get a DUI.”

Cannabis contains the chemical THC, tetrahydrocannabinol, which "affects a person's memory, pleasure, movements, thinking, concentration, coordination, and sensory and time perception,” says Alina Bradford, Live Science Contributor. This shows that the outcomes of usage of weed is not all that bad. Many people use the drug to soothe their pain. “Over 94 million people in the US have admitted using it at least once,” an international statistic says.("THE TRUTH ABOUT MARIJUANA: International statistics") This shows that people know the risk and how to use cannabis. Although many people know the affects of cannabis, many people abuse this substance. A survey showed that 1,246,170 people have used medical cannabis in states that have decriminalized cannabis, (survey taken by ProCon.Org).

My grandaunt has terminal cancer, she uses cannabis to make the pain go away for a while. One time, she was in Florida with a torn achilles. Florida didn’t allow my grandaunt to take her medicine due to unclear prescriptions by her doctor. My grandaunt was screaming in the middle of the night due to the excruciating pain. My dreams were filled with scares, and screams. From that day on we kept her in California. 

Please consider making cannabis legal for those who need it. It may seem chaotic with the smell everywhere, but I believe that everyone should have the option to subdue their pain, and live their life to the fullest. Thank you for reading my letter, and have a good day!

From a young curious student,

Dexter C.

Ghose, Tia. "Marijuana: Facts About Cannabis." Live Science. Live Science, n.d. Web.

ProCon.org. (2016, March 3). Number of Legal Medical Marijuana Patients. Retrieved from 

http://medicalmarijuana.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=005889

Sides, Hampton. "Science Seeks to Unlock Marijuana Secrets." National Geographic. National Geographic, n.d. Web.

"THE TRUTH ABOUT MARIJUANA: International Statistics." Drugfreeworld. Drugfreeworld,n.d. Web.

NYC Lab Middle School

NYC Lab Middle School

Lab students have been painfully subjected to three debates where they searched for policy talk. Four and a half hours later.. Now, our students will have the chance to speak about an issue of importance and possibly make a recommendation for improvement.