Julia B. New York

Gun Control Issues in America

Lack of gun control in the USA is an exponential issue that screams for proper attention. Some of the true statistics of this current conflict have an appalling reveal. In this letter, I will be requesting for suitable action regarding the safety of all american citizens by terms of numerical firearms.

Mr/Madam President:

Salutations. My name is Julia Bremer. I am a junior that currently goes to Sanford H. Calhoun high school in Long Island. Let’s cut to the chase. In your upcoming presidency, it is expected that you will have to face many challenges that America has laid out for you. As the President, America expects you to be a leader of great importance, especially in our current place with the country and overall, the world. One current problem that is occurring in the United States is lack of gun control. I'm speaking to you as an American citizen, non other than that. I formally ask you to hear my voice as a common American like the rest of us. Not as a minor. Or somebody lower than the President himself, a student of the United States, preach for a safer and better protected America.

On average, there are 88.8 firearms present per 100 people. That is 7,270,000,000 guns in total of the country. Over 22% of Americans own one or more guns. In Canada, however, there are only 30.8 firearms present per 100 people. In Australia, 31.3 guns are found per 100 people. The main argument against gun control in America is the second amendment: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." Most people simplify this amendment as the right of all people bear arms. However, if properly broken down this amendment clearly states that an all-able embodied citizen that is eligible by law to serve in the military that is well regulated, has the right to own and heavily regulate owner’s of a firearm(s), if not breaking the law with it.

A very serious and large issue that occurs in the united states today is the amount of people at a variety of ages that own a firearm. These people have been documented committing suicides, murders, terrorist attacks, and violent crimes using an armed weapon against someone else’s will. This can apply to gangs, school shootings, public assault, robberies, sexual assaults, and rapes. As of 2009, the US has a population over 307,000,000 people. In the year of 2008, over 5,340,000 violent crimes were committed in the United States alone. Over 436,000 of them were with a firearm. Roughly 16,272 murders were committed, over 10,886 of them were with a gun. Firearms are falling into the wrong hands merely because there is not enough control over them. There has obviously been an effort to try and recall weapons before hand post the St. Valentine’s day massacre in 1929. The NFA (national firearms act) and other minor laws afterwards were passed. Even through the NFA, FOPA (firearms owner protection act), the banning of machine guns and certain assault rifles, and the National instant criminal background-Check system, The children of the Sandy Hook tragedy were still lost. The people of Charleston parish in the Charleston shooting that wanted none other than a peaceful prayer circle, the party go-ers in Florida in the Orlando shooting that wanted nothing more than a fun night. We’ve even lost four sitting presidents, all of them by gunshot: Abraham Lincoln (the 16th President), James A. Garfield (the 20th President), William McKinley (the 25th President) and John F. Kennedy (the 35th President). To Martin Luther King Jr. who only wanted to bring peace to this world. Not to mention the millions of people that commit suicide by gunshot.

A small yet simple request for protection in the US. In respect of the dead as well as protecting the living. Enforce gun control. Might I recommend a committee with congress. Speak out to the American people, or those in your cabinet. Influence the the many people who have lost a loved one to a gun. Might I remind you that you're the Chief Legislator, you have the power to try. My opinions for eventual recovery: Only under almost all circumstances should a hunter and be licensed and permitted to use a gun in their current area. Security over firearm merchandise should be heavily regulated and each owner that currently owns or is in the process of owning a firearm should be background-checked not once, but multiple times throughout a year. The weapons that an owner owns should be registered in a tracking system, and the amount of firearms even out of the three main gun groups, should be limited. In precaution of keeping not only a few people who should matter regardless in this democracy, but the entire nation.

I thank you for taking your time to read this letter, and hear out my voice not as a minor or a mere student, but as an American citizen. America is great. We are a free nation with rights to the individual. We are so different in comparison to other nations worldwide, and we prosper further every day. We have the right to speak out and not be penalized, we have the right to privacy, we have the right to freedom and business. So many people today do truly live out the American dream, yet there are many who do not. We, as a people, and you as the President can change that. Much so that the American dream is in full view for almost every american that stands under her liberty.

Julia M. Bremer

Articles sighted;

“Gun Control” ProCon.org

“Gun Violence by the Numbers” EverytownResearch.org

"Us Gun Policy: Global Comparisons" Johnathan Masters, Deputy Editor  

Sanford H. Calhoun H.S.

Ms. Finneran's U.S. History Class

Although the news on all the problems in the country can be depressing these days, the ideas of the students in my first period U.S. History class fill me with hope and optimism every morning. I love starting my day with them! They are a group of young people with passionate ideas and concern about the future. I am excited that they have this platform to share their ideas with you and hopefully our next president!