Leila California

R-E-S-P-E-C-T for Women

The Gender Inequality is holding back America's progression.

Congratulations! All of your hard work has paid off, and you are now the 45th president of the United States! As president, I know that you have many responsibilities. There are many issues in America that will require your attention, but I believe that women’s rights should be at the top of the list.

Women consist of 51% of the world’s population, so it is only fair that women receive the same pay, recognition, and overall equality as men do. We are all equal. Women all over this country have talents that have not been shared because many women do not have the opportunity to do so. According to the Institute for Women’s Policy Research in 2015, women earned only 80 cents for every dollar a man makes. Women are just as determined, hardworking, and intelligent as men. Women should be rewarded for their efforts. But, women are still considered inferior, underappreciated, and not as capable as men in 2016. We have let this problem go on for too long, and now is the time for change.

In addition to lower pay, women experience discrimination just for being a woman. There are many negative stereotypes associated with women in power, and I would like to eradicate these. We should all instill a positive outlook of women to set an example for future generations. Young children, especially girls, should be empowered to do anything that they put their mind to, regardless of their gender. While we may be able to vote and own property, these rights are not enough. We demand the respect that we deserve.

There are millions of women in America and the world who have yet to reach their full potential, and with your help eliminating the gender inequality, dreams will come true. Granting women more rights will not only help all women in society, but America as a whole. The sooner we change these policies socially and legally, the sooner our country will be able to progress. As president, it is your duty to support the citizens. All the citizens: young and old, men and women.

Thank you very much for your time, and best wishes in these next four years.

Leila D.