Emma P. Arkansas

Sexual Assault in the U.S.

Sexual assault happens every single day. It happens more than once a day in way too many circumstances. In my opinion, rape is one of the worst things that could happen to a person. It can deteriorate a person's mental health, physical health, self worth, and day to day life in general. There is also no punishment for most of the people that are rapists or those who have assaulted someone. This is one of the main problems the United States needs to fix.

Everyone has heard of the huge debacle over Brock Turner and the court case that followed that. What people don't realize, is that there are thousands of Brock Turners all over the United States that get little to no punishment at all. One out of every six  women in the United States have been a victim of attempted sexual assault or completed sexual assault. One out of every thirty-three men have have been a victim of attempt or completed sexual assault. "Emily Doe" was a twenty-three year old that had everything she had mentally, stripped from her. Brock Turner, a college student, decided one night he was going to rape someone. He didn't know "Emily Doe" personally. He knew nothing about her not even her name. She was drunken at a party one night and he took her behind a dumpster and defiled her. "Emily Doe" wrote a twelve page letter to Brock explaining how she was after everything had happened. Emily explains in her letter how she had to quit her job, not go to sleep until the sun came up, and not even talk about what happened for eight months after. Her whole life was taken away from her within one night. She doesn't even feel safe to be alone in the comfort of her own home anymore. "Emily Doe" is not the only one this has happened to before though. Thousands and thousands of men, woman, and children are affected by sexual assault and rape forever. Once it happens to a person, there is no going back.

Since it is clear on how bad the victims are affected by sexual assault, lets talk about how much the violator or assaulter is not affected by what they do. Out of every 100 sexual assaults, only forty-seven are reported, but only about three people will spend even a day in prison. The other ninety-seven get to walk free with no charge. There are drug dealers that are taken into custody and put in prison longer than any rapist will be. Brock Turner was put was set to be in jail for six months, but was let out after three because of "good behavior".  Brock Turner spent more time in jail than almost all rapists have to spend. People that are put in jail because of stealing are there longer as well. Sexual assault in my opinion is a form of stealing though. The violator is taking away everything from the victim they choose to sexually assault. The victim is left scared and brittle. Some people never recover from being sexually assaulted. There are a lot of cases where the victim will turn to suicide as a result of not being able to cope with what has happened to them. Everyone should have the same chance for the same quality of life as the next person. Rapists and violators take away every ounce of that from the victims.

In conclusion, rape and sexual assault should and can be stopped. There is a way to put an end to all of it. If the people doing these assaults were punished rightfully like they should be then it would stop. It takes one day, one circumstance, or one sexual assault to completely ruin a life. 

Emma Porter

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/06/04/you-took-away-my-worth-a-rape-victim-delivers-powerful-message-to-a-former-stanford-swimmer/

https://www.rainn.org/news/97-every-100-rapists-receive-no-punishment-rainn-analysis-shows

https://www.rainn.org/statistics/scope-problem

http://www.suicide.org/rape-victims-prone-to-suicide.html