Brandon Minnesota

Child Obesity

Students that are obese should receive extra treatment.

Childhood Obesity

Dear next president,

Throughout the U.S, children are becoming more overweight than ever before. Health should be one of our top priorities, yet Americans continue to gain weight by eating unhealthy foods, and not exercising. According to Healthday.com, “about 20% of adolescents in the United States are overweight, and about 80% of overweight adolescents become obese adults.” This means that children and adolescents who are overweight could likely suffer from obesity as an adult. Children and adolescents who are obese should receive treatment that requires them to eat better and exercise more.

I think it is devastating that obese children are at risk of health issues. An article from the Stanford Health organization website says, “people who are overweight have a much greater risk of serious conditions, including: Heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and bone and joint disease.” This shows that overweight children are at risk to health problems because of their weight. By receiving treatment and getting to a healthier weight, Children and adolescents could avoid these conditions.

Obesity doesn’t just affect one's physical health, it can also affect their mental health. In an article called “Obesity and Mental Health”, Author Jane Collingwood explains how Obesity can affect mental health. Jane says, “Psychological disorders which obesity may trigger include depression, eating disorders, distorted body image, and low self-esteem.” This shows that children with obesity are not only exposed to many physical issues, but mental health issues as well. Mental health issues can lead to suicide, crimes, and bad decision making. It can also make it difficult to enjoy everyday life.

The best way to avoid these issues is to eat healthy and exercise more. If a parent refuses or is unable to let his or her child to live a healthy lifestyle, schools need to take action. Obese children should receive healthier lunches and be enrolled in a extra physical activity. Schools should also provide counsellors that the children can talk to and bond with.

Don’t you agree it is time to propose a law requiring obese children to receive treatment through our public school system? By passing this law you will forever change the lives of thousands of children, and make America healthy again.

Brandon

Grade 10

Mendota Heights, MN

Henry Sibley High School

McCormick

American Literature