Emma Minnesota

Effects of guns and what our country needs to change

Dear Mr President,

“The right of the people to keep and bear arms” is a quote that most American citizens are familiar with, but most would say the USA has developed since 1791. Since then, guns have changed a great deal and evolutionized our society into a certain standard we may not be necessarily proud of. There is a severe lack of regulation and laws relating to firearms and it is causing tragedy and the death of citizens. Along with that, other countries have tried other resolutions and have had a great amount of success. I purpose that a law should be created to prevent these fatalities, by restricting the right to own a gun to everyday citizens.

First of all, there are is a large sum of fatalities each year in the United States due to cultural conflict, opposing beliefs, and mental stability. Gun regulation is a lacking issue in this country and as we have tried to narrow down the select few who can own guns, we are still having mass shootings and firearm deaths. This year, so far, we have had already 465 deaths related to guns just from mass shootings and in 2013 there were more than 33,000 casualties. By taking firearms out of the public's reach we can lower these numbers severely and can have our society under control.

Secondly, we must reflect on the achievements of other countries around the world to decrease the numbers of fatalities. 7 years ago, Australia passed a law to abolish guns from the public, and the homicide rate due to firearms has dropped by 42% since then. We should take into account the effectiveness of other country's regulations and we may positively impact our society. Corresponding with that, America has nearly 16 times the gun homicide rate as Germany which proves to show that we have far more deaths than other countries from firearms. If the USA take into account the actions other countries have taken, we may find that removing guns from American citizens would be the best thing for this country.

Counteracting to that, many opposing arguments have referred back to the 2nd amendment to prove their point. In many articles and/or statements certain groups believe that because the American Constitution consisted of the statement “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed” in the 2nd amendment, it meant that all citizens have a right to firearms. Many would argue that this country has developed since that document was created and that certain criteria must be recognized in order to keep society in place. As addressed by America's Supreme Court, the statement was distinguished not to be an individual right but a protective state power against any outside forces that were present at the time of the Constitution’s creation. As recognized, the 2nd amendment is not an act contributing to gun distribution but a statement of freedom and the power to protect yourself, but that does not need to be done with a firearm in hand.

In conclusion, the United States of America needs to abolish guns from the hands of its citizens in order to keep its society on track. By recognizing the outstanding numbers of casualties gun have brought upon this country and examining how other countries around the world act towards firearms, the US can resolve its problem and keep its people safe. If America wants to have a secure society, it will take into account how firearms are affecting this country and remove them from the hands of its people.

Emma