Cashae H. Michigan

Lack of Education

"97% of people who sexually abuse children are male, and 76.8% of people who sexually abuse children are adults."

Dear, President of the United States of America

According to americanspcc.org ”34% of people who sexually abuse a child are family members” which brings up my questions, who are these others that are brought into that child’s life? Do parents need to do more to protect their child or are they doing the most they can do? Does it just stop there or do we need to dig deeper and find the bigger problem? My response to the last question is yes we need to dig deeper. We need to have better education on the way to prevent these events from happening and how to control it if it does start to happen in that child’s life.

Not many people can say they know all the elements of sexual child abuse. The statement itself means it is a form of child abuse in which an adult uses a child for sexual stimulation. Sexual abuse comes in all shapes and is looked over because people don't take it seriously until a child is raped and stripped of their innocence, childhood, trust, and ability to forgive. Children who are sexually abused grow up with hate and trust issues in that gender because of the choices of those who didn't think about the outcome of that child's life. The same source above also said “96% of people who sexually abuse children are male, and 76.8% of people who sexually abuse children are adults.” that percentage of men aren’t only harassing young females but young males too. Why is this information important? It’s important because 14.8% of children sexually abused have had an suicidal attempt (according to psychcentral.com). It is also important because a child doesn’t deserve to go their whole life possibly reliving it, because any trauma to a child at a young age is a very crucial event experienced. It’s not fully up to the parent to protect their child from things such at sexual child abuse, unless it is the parent then yes it is fully up to the parent to go somewhere else with their sexual problems such as an significant other, sometimes we need to go deeper as in who is dangerous around this child such as coaches or teachers we need to have closer eyes on these people with authority some are taking this privilege for granted. Let’s start with listening to the child, in school maybe have a safe circle every week. I know it may be hard to hear certain things that a children go through but would you rather them continuously go through it or help them. Lastly I think we need to have someone such as child protective services check up on those children that might be showing signs of child abuse such as anxiety, constant worrying, fear of maybe being touched, bruises, and a lot more. There are plenty of ways to protect these children but are we trying?

Sometimes we need to dig deeper then the parents, we need to be educated better than how we’ve been. How many people can say they’ve honestly thought about this topic and took it seriously, not many because if anyone was we wouldn’t has this amount of children sexually abused. We need to take action and help out these children. Let’s get educated, let’s take action!

Sincerely, Cashae Harris