Ruth C. Minnesota

Letter for Women's Rights

This letter is written for the president to emphasis the fact that women's rights need to be in reinforced.

Women should have more rights. Women’s rights need to be reinforced to promote legal and social equality of women and men. Women are constantly degraded by society and legal laws, and it’s time for a change.

Women are constantly brought down in our everyday lives, either because of their skin, or because of how they look, or just because they’re simply a women. You always hear, “oh no you can’t do that, because you’re a girl”, and things shouldn’t be that way. According to, American Civil Liberties Union, “Women still just make 78 cents for every dollar earned by men. Black women earn only 64 cents and Latinas only 54 cents for each dollar earned by white men”. If there are rights that equalize employment, why is there still a difference between the pay amounts on women and men? If this law was enforced all women would be getting the same amount of pay as men.

Not only are women degraded in the workforce, but young women are also degraded at school. The American Civil Liberties Union claims, “Over 1,000 public K-12 schools in the United States have single-sex education programs”. They also say, many of those schools rely on discredited science and gender stereotypes. Women and men should be treated exactly the same, same classes and so on. One is not better than the other, there’s no difference besides the fact one’s a female and one’s a male.

On top of the fact that women aren’t treated equally in the workforce or at school, some women are being abused, or committed violence against them. The American Civil Liberties Union, states “The U.S Department of Justice reports that approximately one in four homeless women is homeless because of violence committed against her”. According to Answers, two-thirds of women are victims of domestic abuse everyday, and as time goes on without any changes in our laws and society, it will increase. I know two people, personally who are domestically abused. I’m sure guys who domestically abuse their partners make the claim that the girl never left. Honestly, it frustrates me when just because the girl didn’t leave, it supposedly makes it okay in the guys head to abuse her. She’s probably scared of leaving, or scared of asking for help. No matter what the circumstances, it’s never okay to domestically abuse a woman and mess up her mental state.

Overall, women’s rights need to be more enforced in our everyday lives. From the workforce, to school, and even to their own house. The sooner we change these things for the better, the faster our society will grow to be better. Making changes will benefit the welfare of the women in this world.

Ruth Cartagena

10th grade

Mendota Heights, MN

Henry Sibley High School

TEMPLE

Ms. Temple's classes